Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I buy my dog food from a very nice elderly lady here in north central Indiana. While I was there we started talking about guns, she said she has a Marlin. I asked if I could see it, so she goes in her house and starts coming out with an 1894 cowboy in 357/38 special, a Marlin Alaskan centennial in 45-70,a Henry Goldenboy, a Beretta Tomcat, and she told me she has a lot more mostly older shotguns.

The problem is the poor thing didn’t take care of them, the Goldenboy was loaded with surface rust, as was the Beretta, the Alaska centennial is ok but in bad need of oiling before its too late. The 1894 cowboy had a little surface rust, two small spots, just a little on the loading gate, and a speck of rust on the barrel, about the size of a need head. I told her she needs to get these gun taken care of, and that I would take the 1894 CB home and get it straightened out.

I did that today and will give it back to her tomorrow, and when I go back to her place I’m gonna have my cleaning stuff, and help her out, she really is a nice old lady. The 1894 Marlin has the JM stamp on the barrel, and the serial number starts with 91, so I’m guessing it might have been made in 2002. It’s a really nice gun, but the difference between my Remington made 1894 and her original Marlin is that the wood to metal fit on my Remlin is FAR BETTER than her original Marlin. I’m gonna make her an offer on that 1894, I know she won’t sell it but is $600.00 a fair offer?

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
100-91=9

The 1894 Marlin was made in 2009. Marlin was bought out in Dec 2007 and moved to Idiot, NY in fall of 2010. I believe the first REP stamped Marlin was made in 2011. $600 is OK if it’s 90% or better. I’d offer $400 or $500.

Start low.

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Super Moderator
12,695 Posts
100-91=9
The 1894 Marlin was made in 2009.Marlin was bought out in Dec 2007 and moved to Idiot,NY in fall of 2010
I believe the first REP stamped marlin was made in 2011.
$600 is ok if it’s 90% or better.I’d offer $400 or $500.
Start low.
Actually the first REP guns were made in 2009 using North Haven parts. My 1894CSS falls into this camp and is one of the best guns I have ever owned.

·
Registered
19,700 Posts
So even though hers is JM stamped, its one of the earliest Remlins... I'd stay away even at $200... that was made right before the move when the rumors of disgruntled workers were going crazy.
The 'disgruntled workers were going crazy' is a blatant lie. It's a rumour,you're repeating it, and you're spreading it with no proof. This is not the place for that. Factual, proven accounts read so much better here at MO.

My shooting buds and I own some 2008 and 2009 JM Connecticut made, Freedom Group owned Marlins, and they're all fine. Smooth and very accurate. Let's try to deal in facts.

Rob

·
Registered
21,196 Posts
The 'disgruntled workers were going crazy' is a blatant lie. It's a rumour,you're repeating it, and you're spreading it with no proof. This is not the place for that. Factual, proven accounts read so much better here at MO.

My shooting buds and I own some 2008 and 2009 JM Connecticut made, Freedom Group owned Marlins, and they're all fine. Smooth and very accurate. Let's try to deal in facts.

Rob
Rob, in Bob's defense, he did say "rumors of disgruntled workers were going crazy", not "disgruntled workers were going crazy"! BIG difference!

Reactions: Boobarzo

·
Registered
19,700 Posts
Rob, in Bob's defense, he did say "rumors of disgruntled workers were going crazy", not "disgruntled workers were going crazy"! BIG difference!
So without ever seeing/touching/inspecting the rifle that is the subject of this thread,you'd discount its quality and lower its price based on an admitted rumour? I actually acknowledged that it was a rumour.

Repeat: Let's try to deal in facts.

·
Administrator
30,718 Posts
Alright, let's get back on the main topic and drop discussion regarding rumors.

Jack

·
Registered
46 Posts
I want to thank all of you for the info, now I can tell her a little about this rifle. I’m sure she won’t sell it, but I’m gonna offer her $600 for it, just in case. I don’t believe this rifle was ever fired, when I ran the first patch through her, the patch came out with what looked like a reddish grease. The bore is bright and shiny, and the action is as stiff as my 2016 Remlin when it was new, my Remlin has since slickened up quite a bit from shooting it. Aside from the wood on the buttstock not having as nice a fit to the receiver as my 2016 Remlin, she seems just as nice in every way as my rifle.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Deja Vu...
Years ago a friend bought an 1894 38/357 because it was cute, then never shot it.

Years later he relocated after retirement, and I bought the 1894 ... because it was cute, then I never shot it.
In the annual exercise of cleaning and oiling of the hardware, I again cleaned and shouldered the little 1894, and smiled... because it was cute, then never shot it.

$150.

Reactions: biku324

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
gundogblue,

I strongly admire you for wanting to be up front and honest with this elderly lady. She obviously has pride in ownership of her firearms; whether she bought them, or her husband (or another loved one) bought them. By making her a fair and proper offer for the rifle, you honor her opinion and show respect for her possessions. By doing so you have put yourself high on her list of potential individuals to sell the rifle to; if she should decide to sell it. She may be elderly, but that doesn't equate to not being smart or knowing the worth of her possessions. So you are doing well; in my eyes and I'm sure in hers as well! :top:

CJ

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
I have a css too and it went to RPP for some love and it is slick. Won't buy another one though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.