Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there was a new hunting round that fired a 40 grain RN faster than CCI "Velocitior", more accurately, and cost less, would you be interested? The Velocitor is booked at a velocity of 1430 ft/sec and I've found that to be pretty close to the actual speed when I chorongraphed it. The round I'm talking about would do about 1450 ft/sec (nominal, 1490 ft/sec corrected to the muzzle of a 24" barrel: 197 ft/lbs energy) and sport a sold-nose bullet. Performance on game would be as nearly identical as you could tell from looking. Any thoughts? ~Andrew

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
For what I use and hunt I don't need it.. the 22lr is plenty and the 17hm2 and 22 mag cover the rest for distruction purposes.. :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
22 perfection

I agree with GJ,when I was a boy you had 2 choices,22short or 22 long and
as I recall they did the job they were supposed to do which was very small game or plinking. and cheaply at that. Then a little later came the 22 long
rifle,longer range and harder hitting,BUT you had to buy another gun to chamber the round or get your old gun rechambered,IF it could be done
safely,with all the variations of 22LR around I believe the 22 has come as
far as it needs to,like GJ says you want to shoot farther and faster get a
bigger gun. I know I have all the flavers of 22's, a couple over 60 years old.
But to each his own.
Helnik

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
With them velocities, you're nearing the realm of jacketed. I can already do that with the WMR. Sounds interesting ,though.

Personal preference leans toward the slower stuff for the 22 lr for me. Good experiences with CCI's 40 gr h.p. subsonic. Outer limit for them is 75 yards- a rare shooting occurence for the likes of me.... otherwise, "pop" and flop....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
932 Posts
Aguila is making a round like that, but I have never shot it.
Andrew,
Didn't you do some tests with that high velocity aguila round?
Anyway, I wouldn't have any use for it. I use standard velocity or sub sonic in my .22.

Aguila ammo in my opinion is the best deal in .22 ammo on the market right now. They have a great variety of .22 ammo and all reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Aguila is producing a round like that it's news to me. They offer a 30 grain at 1750 and the next fastest is 1250. I do agree with you about their ammo. For the most part it's darned good stuff. I am especially sold on the sub sonic HP's and Hi velocity solids. But I digress...

Anybody else have an opinion? Any Western hunters out there that use the heavy hitters? ~Andrew

(Helnik: You must be pretty darned old if you predate the 22LR. It's been around since 1887.)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Andrew said:
If Aguila is producing a round like that it's news to me. They offer a 30 grain at 1750 and the next fastest is 1250. I do agree with you about their ammo. For the most part it's darned good stuff. I am especially sold on the sub sonic HP's and Hi velocity solids. But I digress...

Anybody else have an opinion? Any Western hunters out there that use the heavy hitters? ~Andrew

(Helnik: You must be pretty darned old if you predate the 22LR. It's been around since 1887.)

Andrew.. Nick is older than dino himself.. 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
843 Posts
I'd be interested because of longer range capabilities, but it would have to be compatible with standard rifling and be accurate as hell, at least in common rifles---like my CZ trainer... 8) Such a round might like a 24" tube...

...............TM7

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
So, the bullet is supposed to be a solid. Maybe most figure a higher velocity round should sport some kind of hollowpoint. I guess I would include myself in that group, although at normal ranges striking velocity might be high enough to expand a soft solid bullet swaged of lead.

Seems like the current Velocitors have the mushrooming/penetration thing down pretty well.

I suppose I could hope for a flat point, but that might not feed too well from some guns. Again, the current Velocitor might make a flatpoint unneeded as well.

What would be the uses for such a bullet (solid) that the current Velocitor could not already cover? Doing some market research, Andrew? Maybe I'm missing something here.

I tend to use the current Velocitor on the critters on the upper end of the .22 long rifle performance envelope-possum, feral cats, small raccoons, . Certainly you can use it on anything you could shoot humanely with the .17 HMR, within the Velocitor's trajectory limits.

Like Doc Sharptail, I tend to use the CCI subsonic most of the time, and find it's a pretty good killer even when it's pushed a bit beyond its limits. I think CCI really did their homework on their subsonic offering.

I wonder if they could offer, say, a 45 grain bullet with flatpoint that would stabilize in the common 1-16 twist and duplicate or slightly exceed high velocity long rifle speed. Ah, forget it. Nobody would buy that anyway, and it would be hard to prove that a few more ft. lbs. retained downrange would help anything.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would be interested but of course it would be replacing the Velociter for most of us..
If it comes out, it better be accurate...because the Velociter is ! No; the Velociter isn't as accurate as target or good standard speed fodder...but it does quite well, considering it's speed !
I have found on live game (groundhogs/woodchucks) that the velociters seem to me to be closer to the .22 mag in power than it is to HV .22 LR..

Within it's range..I do believe it is a " bigger hammer " than my .17 HMR..

The Velociter ( or it's replacement )would be nice to carry in an extra clip, just in case one sees a fox or coyote while hunting smaller game with a .22 LR...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comeback, IG. I am a mult-tasker with the 22LR: I like haveing a magazine of hi-speed and subs on hand when I hunt -just in case. I like Sub Sonics generally speaking but I realize that a badger isn't going to take kindly to a 30 yard shot with these rounds. Fot that I want bone breakers. This proposed round would be the equivelent in power, top the Velocitor for accuracy (10 shots in an inch from a non match rifle at 50 yards) and be less expensive. This is an experiment in powder technology from what I gather. Corrected to the muzzle this round will do 1490 ft/sec. That's quick fo a 40 grainer.

Which reminds me. What have you decided about the 580 action?? (See the JW-15 post from last week...) ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Andrew;
Right now, I have a local dealer that says he has a line on a 581...I do want a clip fed one..but will remember you in case this one doesn't " pan out "...Thanks !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I ain't so sure a solid would be an "all around" answer to your badger situation. I took out a rabid skunk onece with High Velocity solids ( 40 gr @ 1225 fps, IIRC ), and that 15 lb skunk sure took a lotta killin with solids. He took 7 shots before he laid down and died properly- 3 of which were head shots. Mind you, rabies is weird stuff- this guy was still hostile with the top of his head gone. From what I was able to see before the smell got me was that everything passed right through him without expanding. If you're gonna take on a badger, a better load might be an oz and 1/4 of #4's out of a 12 gauge- sighted badgers around here tend to be rabid...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

G

·
I like Eley ammo the best in 22's . When I was fooling with Rem 541's and 513's I used Eley Gold Benchrest the most . Used it on targets and for squills. Now I do not own a heavy barrel 22 but I still like Eley standerd velocity club ammo for my 1897T .
I have a Winchester 61 that was quite good when it was fed Gold Benchrest . Of course I always had about a 10 or 12 Leupold on top when I would shoot paper. You'd also be amazed how much a Leupold 4-12 will help when you are squill hunting. Puts you right in there living room :wink:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doc: I don't hunt badgers with a 22LR but I have stumbled across them afield and have been put into the position of having to shoot them. They take a well placed shot or a full magazine, depending on the ammo. ~Andrew

·
Registered
129 Posts
That round you described sounds neat, but I agrree with GJ, if your going for thatkind of velocity, might as well go with a .22 mag or better yet, the cool old .22 hornet 8)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is still a 22LR, and not mutant enough in power to be considered some kind of jump from the 22LR class. There are several rounds faster than this one in 22LR, tho none carry the 40 grain bullet. (the Aguila Super Maximum does 1750 at the muzzle!) The 40 grain 22 magnum is 30% faster than the round I described and as much more powerful. The Hornet is twice as fast. Substitute a 40 grain jacketed bullet at 1957 ft/sec -or a 40 grain jacketed bullet at almost 3000 ft/sec- for a 40 grain RN lead bullet at 1450?? C'mon! ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I wasn't sure if the intent was an actual hunt, or incidental occurences.

Actually, that 1450 fps is not all that far off the old 1600 fps benchmark of the .22 mag. Winchester ad copy proclaimed 2000 fps, but for most of us, actual chronoed results were right around the 1600 fps mark. I realize powder has come a long ways since that time, and CCI has had their feet in this fire for quite a while...

Your current idea has been tried before- Federal had a 38 gr TCR around the time the Stinger first started getting serious competition from the other makers. It did not sell all that well, and it's been quite a while since I've seen it. I tried them, and the results were less than spectacular on the small and soft game I hunt.

At any rate, keep us posted- new .22 ammo is always interesting to me- I won't knock it till I've shot it on live game....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doc: I don't know if this will ever come to pass but like you, I'm always game for a new 22LR ammo. I have shot some samples of this ammo and it seems to do what it claims. The guy is trying to sell the idea right now. It's not a new idea but the powder technology is. I don't know if he'll have any luck.

Yeah, the original 22WMR rounds were abit anemic. My current lot of CCI "TMJ" 40 grainers averages 1960 or thereabouts. Quite a difference! My CZ 452 shoots Federal 30 grain "Classics" at 2350 ft/sec. What times we live in... ~Andrew

1 - 20 of 46 Posts