Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Marlin 80-DL (Bolt 22) does not have the Bullseye dot on the stock. I read somewere that they started "bullseyeing" all thier stocks back in 1920's It was in my dad's attic for (at least) 50 years. Is it possable that it's a lot older than I think. He had an old Win. 1897 that serial dated at 1910.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
One possiblilty for your 80DL not having the bullseye is that it could have been sold through a place like Sears or Wards. While guns sold by these companies were normally marked as such, the marking MIGHT have been omitted. After reading your post, I looked through the safe, and only the 'house brand' guns lacked the bullseye. Are there any other numbers on the barrel like a model number? The Sears models are always 103.XX

My reference material shows the 80DL as being made from the 40s on, and this is about the only possibility I can imagine. The other would be that it was restocked at sometime with a 'house brand' stock. It's little quirks like this that makes collecting interesting. SW

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Gun

Besides the usual “The Marlin Firearms Co.” label, under it is :

Model 80-DL-22 A_ - S - L - LR --------------- A

(There’s a dot in the middle of that line)

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to Col. Brophy's book, stocks that were made from birch didn't have the bull's-eye, as well as some stocks made during the depression years (for cost control). I have several 80's and 81's (all of them DL versions) that were made just before or after WW2, and none of them have bull's-eyes. I think they're stocked in birch, but can't tell for sure. I also have a 100s (Tom Mix Special), which was a sort of a special edition .22 single shot available from 1937-1940 or so, that cataloged as having a walnut FINISH, and it doesn't have a bull's-eye. Judging from your picture, I'm guessing you've got a post-WW2 rifle, but they must have kept birchwood blanks on hand for their private brand production as "NebrHogger" suggested. Goodluck, RounderRic

1 - 4 of 4 Posts