Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over all the shooters boards is the universal complaint that the price/availability of 22 LR ammo is not "normal". But what is normal? Do any of us believe there will be a return to "the good 'ol days"?

So based upon a new reality which may or may not change, what do we as shooters want for the price/rnd of 22 LR ammo? What do all of us consider "Normal"?

·
Banned
457 Posts
I consider for these days the price of 5 to 7 cents a round "normal"

I remember back in the day in my teens that I could buy a 5000 round "bucket" of 22 for only $19.99

·
Premium Member
4,923 Posts
I consider for these days the price of 5 to 7 cents a round "normal"

I remember back in the day in my teens that I could buy a 5000 round "bucket" of 22 for only $19.99
I agree, $.05 to $.07 is tops for when the dust settles. I did pay $7.95 for 100 CCI Mini Mags earlier this week and considered it "fair", the problem was I could only buy ONE! That's it! Cut Off with only one box. Lets hope that doesn't become the new norm.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Well, according to all the dealers (GOUGERS) on the net, $70.00-$100.00 per brick is now normal!!:vollkommenauf::ahhhhh:

·
Banned
457 Posts
Would you care to elaborate what year? $19.99/5000= .003998 per round, which is less than $2 a brick.

at a chain of stores called "White Front" in of all places California

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You cannot base old prices on the current prices of anything. Heck I remember Gasoline at 60 cents a Gallon too. Sorry prices of everything increases over time.

People seem to think that ammo is somehow immune from inflation. I personally do not even know how someone like Federal can sell a 550 Bulk Pack for a low enough price, that someone pays transport to the Store, sells it for a profit and can still sell 550 rounds of it for a mere 25.00 a brick. I would say we have been fortunate that ammo has not increased 4 or 5 fold in the last ten years like alot of other stuff has.

I never pay more than retail for ammo though. Some obviously do..I DO NOT take flipprs and their Victims into account when talking ammo prices. That is not the real world.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think guns and ammo is the newest fad. Everybody had to get them an AR or a glock before the government banned them. The vast majority of them will tire of their new toys and move on to the next thing. The 22 LR mania is kind of a head scratcher. There has never been any proposed restrictions concerning rimfires that I know of. Anyway, it makes life kinda suck for life long gun owners and shooters but I think it is going to pass.

Here is an example. I used to play a fair amount of golf years ago. When Tiger won his first masters, all of a sudden golf became the newest fad. You could not go out on a public course on a weeked without dealing with a hoard of newbies all decked out with new clubs and Nike golf clothes that could not hit a ball out of their shadows. Golf courses sprang up everywhere. Now a lot of them are out of business because the fad ended. You might remember hula hoops and cabbage patch kids. Day traders? How bout house flippers? Now we have ammo flippers.

Try to be patient guys. The less you feed it the quicker its gonna die. I don't think examples of stuff like gas is totally valid. Folks have to have gas. Folks have to have food. Folks don't have to have 100,000 rounds of ammo stashed in the closet.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just bought 3 bricks from Midway for $0.095/rnd on a "special", shipping included. I felt it was a good deal. Some areas of the country are seeing availability that others aren't. Some small LGS's aren't carrying 22LR at all until the wholesale price drops. And I agree, when the gun buying mania of AR 15's and such dies out, ammo will become fairly plentiful and reasonable in cost.

The important point here is that Midway, who did not have "any" 22 LR for months and months, just had a bulk sale at less than $0.10/rnd. This is good news.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I bought a bunch of .22 last summer for .04-.05 a round. I doubt it will ever get below that again.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have a friend whose daughter paid $19.95 for 100 mini mags for his birthday present at a LGS.

·
Registered
211 Posts
good debate topic, what is normal? I can't answer that. For me, I was out of shooting for the better part of my adulthood. Now that I am retired, it, I think is what I am comfortable with and can purchase on a regular basis (regular I have found is 2 week drought followed by a 3 day feeding frenzy ). Anyway, I can pay as much as 8 cents for the amount I shoot. I am usually paying between 6 and 8 cents a round when I can find it which is usually on line at 2 am. I try to find sites with either free shipping on orders of a certain size or big box stores that drop it free at their stores.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
Some LGS are not going to carry 22 bricks if they have to sell it for the prices that they have been seeing most everywhere. They end up alienating their customers by charging them high prices for that caliber. A dealer at a Gun Show said that their wholesale prices have gotten so high that he won't carry it, period. I told him of a guy I talked to in Walmart that told me he had bought his daughter a 22 rifle for her birthday and had no ammo to go along with it. He wanted to take her out to the range on her Birthday so he had to find ammo somewhere. A LGS had a sign outside his store stating he had 22 ammo. The man was shocked to find the price was $85 for a brick. He bought it, but swore he would never do business with that LGS again. That is precisely why some of the small dealers won't handle it.

Mike T.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.