Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the best place to put this question, but here goes.

I live in a high rise condo building that has a common laundry room. I always look through all the pockets, (twice) of any pants, shirts, etc, I have worn on the rifle or pistol range or worn on a hunting trip. I have this almost phobic concern that a rifle or pistol round, overlooked in a pocket, will blow up in a dryer and cause lots of damage... or worse.

Granted, I have never heard of such an occurrence. I spent 12 years living in military quarters where members washed their own combat clothing in washers and dryers that are very similar to those in my building. I have never heard of such an occurrence in any civilian shooting club either.

Have any of you ever washed and dried (on high heat), clothing with ammo in the pocket and if so, what happened?

Sincerely,

JDP
Team 35 # 88
Team 30-30 # 82
Team 39 # 31

·
Registered
15 Posts
MilPsych,

I will admit to washing and drying some .22 shorts and LR over the years. The .45 LC and .30-30s just don't seem to make past the "pocket check".
This could be another case of size being important!

Before anyone asks, yes...I still shoot them...:)

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I have to admit to being guilty of washing a fair number of rounds through the years............the lady who works at the laundromat I use calls me "Bulletman", because I always find loose rounds in the dryers as I'm pulling my dried clothes out to hang up. I generally check my pants pockets before I take them off, but I still manage to wash a few rounds each time I go. Everything from 375 Winchester and 45ACP to 223 and 22LR. None have ever fired, but then, I don't leave them in a hot dryer. I pull my clothes out as soon as they're dry, and get out of there.

I can hear you thinking................"How do you miss finding a loaded 375 Winchester in your pants pocket?" I have no idea.......but it's happened more than once! :eek:

I break them down, rather than trying to fire them. I hate squib loads.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
washed and dried a LOT of 22s!!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It's strange this subject came up. Yesterday I forgot three .357 rounds in my pants pocket.
The lady that found them in her drier was very articulate in what she had to say. She used a few names, but bulletman was'nt one of them.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
trapper-xx said:
It's strange this subject came up. Yesterday I forgot three .357 rounds in my pants pocket.
The lady that found them in her drier was very articulate in what she had to say. She used a few names, but bulletman was'nt one of them.
;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
AS a kid, I cooked off what was probably my share of old ammo, and let it be known that it goes off with a resounding "BANG"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will it go off in a dryer?

Possibly, depending on time and temp.

"IF" it cooks off, Very likely no need to look for any holes in the dryer drum, but it is not likely to do your clothes much good, not even considering the possibility of fire.

The bullet, being heavy, will only go a very short distance, but as to damage, it depends on how the case reacts.

The primer will likely blow out, and the case may rupture or the bullet simply blow out a few inches.

Damage, other then a possible very small dent, will be very light or none from the bullets movement, but holes in the clothes might be present from pieces of brass, primer etc., but again fire sure could be a result.

Let us say you cooked off some live ammo inside a washing machine sized cardboard box, placing the fire on the ground, at the center of the box. I would be VERY!!!!!!! surprised to see anything leave the box, other then the smoke coming out the open top.

The bullet and the brass case, as a whole, are just to heavy to move more then a VERY!! small distance, and any small brass pieces from a ruptured case will be so light as to RAPIDLY run out of energy. Same for a blown primer.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
papajohn said:
I can hear you thinking................"How do you miss finding a loaded 375 Winchester in your pants pocket?" I have no idea.......but it's happened more than once! :eek:
Sounds like "oldtimers" disease to me! ;D

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Pretty familar with that particular affliction, are ya, Hal? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts