Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased a pre-safety 1894, in very good condition. It is my first lever gun, in fact it is the first rifle I have owned since the late 70s. I was really excited about taking out for the first time today. I wanted to avoid lead ammunition, and have a rebuilt shoulder likely to be sensitive to recoil, so I bought some Magtech FMC flat point 158 gr .38 special ammunition. This ammunition would not feed. It jammed, but at least not in a serious way--i could unjam it--but I spent most of my range time either trying to figure out why it was jamming (length of cartridge?--the bullet end of the cartridge was tilted slightly down instead of up towards the chamber) or loading one shot at a time. The good news it is quite accurate, the bad news, of course, is that it jams on this ammunition. Any suggestions as to what my next step might be?

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Often this sort of problem is related to either the bullet shape or the cartridge length. That would be the easiest option. The 1894 in .357 mag should cycle with both .38 special and .357 mag, but some do not. What is the bullet shape you are trying, you only said flat point? Lead or FMJ? Round nose or flat point? Hollow point? I would first try another shape bullet, say lead round nose, and also try .357 mag rounds. Your rilfe may need the extra 1/8" of the mag. Mine will feed both, but not all will.

And remember to cycle the lever with authority. The levers need to worked deliberately, not gently. You won't hurt the rifle. Make sure you're outside with the rifle pointed in a safe direction when you do this.

If this doesn't work, then more info would be helpful. Where does the round hang up? Does it feed from the magazine tube onto the carrier? Does the carried elevate correctly with the cartridge on it, or does it get stuck on the way? Does the cartridge not enter the chamber correctly? Pictures would help.

If it's more complicated than what I've addressed above, let us know and someone else will be along shortly. Also check the thread in the Gunsmithing room--Marlin Jams.

Welcome and good luck.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum from the Texas Hill Country

1 - 3 of 3 Posts