Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here familiar with HSM COWBOY ACTION 45-70 ammo ?

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
I used HSM Cowboy in my 32-20, and HSM +P Bear Loads in the 1895G. I have been happy with their product so far, but won't be buying anymore because I caved in to the reloading enablers here, and now reload for both. I can also say I wish I had caved in sooner, cause, never have I spent so much money and had so much fun!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
HSM makes a good product. If you don't reload (yet), you could get a good start by shooting their ammo and saving all the brass to start your own reloading...even if you're not going to reload, that brass is very attractive trade bait...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I too expanded into Rifle Caliber reloading due to the fine folks on this site. I was told very accurately that you will never know what that big bore will do till you reload yourself. As to the topic, I have used HSM also, due to the fact that at the time that's all that was available. I had no complaints about its overall performance. As was already suggested, save your brass, and learn to appreciate good cast lead bullets.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Im familiar with the 45/70 ammo I make, I know the fellow that makes them.

I care not to trust anyone else

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Lever and Tn:s
reloading is fun and repays the investment PDQ if you shoot much, but it's only half the fun...
get into casting your own bullets, and you'll find another whole facet to the sport.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the HSM 45-70 headstamp?
Can you find one on their website?

My husband just got up and the only 45-70 reloading bullets that he has are in cast bullets, newer Hornady - I found some for him after one year of waiting, a small amount of Speer and a tiny bit of Sierra.

The factory ammunition that he has are in Remington right now (TINY amount.) and he ONLY uses them once in a blue moon. So I can't help you there. Sorry.

Besides I do not know how to put pictures up of things online. He always does that for ME. I will take a picture of something and he puts it ON the computer for me too. I use his one digital OLD camera. I have to remember how to use it too. I am more of a KODAK Instamatic old lady. Ha!

Cate

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Thanks Catherine
You're very welcome.

I do not reload but my husband has for 40 some years.

I keep an inventory list for him in various products in a few folders and keep it in our file cabinet.

I have helped him and some super rural friends find products that they could not find even with SPECIAL ORDERS for the last 2 plus crazy years of 'shortages'.

Some of that stuff finally came in but only after talking to Hornady and with my one dealer who spoke to them too.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
HSM bear loads use starline brass

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I can post up a headstamp photo when I get back to my man cave. HSM 45/70 bear loads are in Starline brass...I have some 44 mag brass that is head stamped HSM..

·
Registered
478 Posts
I use their 400 gr. Speer load in 45/70 for hunting. It is a very accurate, powerful load that will do most anything in the hunting field. I found these on sale a couple of years ago and purchased 100 rounds at a fantastic price. Very pleased with accuracy and hunting results. A great "all-round" load for the 45/70.

·
Registered
146 Posts
HSM bear loads use starline brass
That's what I was after. Thanks Bryan. Black Hills uses Starline brass too and as far as I can see, that's about the only way to accumulate a supply of brass. My experience with HSM is limited, but the two boxes of HSM 308 are the only factory loads that failed to fire. Each box had 2 rounds that did not fire despite multiple strikes in my Ruger GSR.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
That's what I was after. Thanks Bryan. Black Hills uses Starline brass too and as far as I can see, that's about the only way to accumulate a supply of brass. My experience with HSM is limited, but the two boxes of HSM 308 are the only factory loads that failed to fire. Each box had 2 rounds that did not fire despite multiple strikes in my Ruger GSR.

Wideners.com has some nickel starline brass left.

Reactions: Catherine
1 - 19 of 19 Posts