Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step-son bought a Ar-10, 308, 18 in. barrel, 1 in 10 twist. Can't get it to group to suit him, I did a little research, and the opinions seem to favor bullets in the 170 gr. and up, what's the advice from MO ers? Thanks in advance. T Rex

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
What size groups does he require to be satisfied?

It should shoot within 1-2" at 100 yards with just about any ammo, I would think.

Have you shot it? How are your groups with it? What size groups does your son get with his other rifles? Does he have another AR that he shoots better?

For questions like this, one must first determine whether the problem lies with the shooter or with the rifle. I'll admit that I have blamed the rifle in the past, when the problem really mine. I traded that rifle, which I shouldn't have, and now I regret it.

I'm not saying that your son's problem is sitting behind the trigger, but one must narrow the problem down to one of these two possibilities before proceeding with the other.

Good luck.

Reactions: Lever Jac

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My best accuracy in my M1-A ( with stock sights it does 1-1/2" @ 100Y) & a couple other .308s is with 4895 & 165-168 gr. hpbt bullets until you get beyond 8-900 yards.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You're not telling us much. Is rifle used or new? Is the rifle scoped? Is the trigger the typical heavy, crappy trigger. Need a little more info to work with... What kind of accuracy is he looking for? Is he able to shoot other known accurate rifles accurately? Factory ammo or handloads? What load? 150 grainers should be good for that twist. A known accuracy load in my old .308 match rifle (1 - 10" twist) was 39 grains of IMR 3031 with a 168 grain sierra match bullet. It may not be safe in your rifle.

Sorry about all the questions but inquiring minds want to know...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts