Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I've ordered a scope for my 1895SBL hunting rifle, a Redfield 2-7x33. I primarily wanted it for better shot placement at dawn/dusk. But since it will have some glass on it soon, I'm getting ready to find out what factory round my gun likes best when I can stretch it's legs.

Ammunition Bullet Brass Gun accessory Metal

Currently I have the following options from left to right:

1. Xcaliber 300gr Hornady HP (2,210 fps)
2. Lehigh Defense 305gr Extreme Penetrator (2,000 fps)
3. Lehigh Defense 305gr Controlled Fracturing (2,000 fps)
4. Hornady Leverevolution 325gr (2,050 fps)
5. HSM Cowboy Action 405gr FN (1,300 fps)
6. HSM Bear Load 430gr RNFP +P (1,801 fps)

While I wait for the scope to arrive, do you guys have any recommendations for factory loads that I am missing and should get to try out when I hit the range? What's been your experience with the rounds I've got?
I will be hunting with this rifle. Primarily whitetail, elk, and eventually when I can go out west moose, bear, and who knows what else.
I will start reloading sometime later next year, but for now I'll shoot factory stuff.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

Reactions: BobinNC

·
Registered
939 Posts
RR84 - I do not have experience with the loads you have gathered. My go to round for deer and hogs has been the Barnes Vortx 300 grain, it is published at approximately 1900 fps - This ammo shoots very well out of my 72' 1895 and terminal performance has been great. I have used Buffalo Bore's loading of the 500 grain Barnes Buster at 1650 fps for a few very large/dangerous critters and they have performed well. Most recently I worked with a friend who reloads and developed a load for the 400 grain Barnes Buster that prints right with the Vortx ammo - terminal performance was good on the 2 critters that were killed with it a couple weeks ago.
If you are experimenting, check out Buffalo Bore and Garret's sites.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been looking at the Federal 300s and the Barnes 300. I might have to get a box of each of those as well. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would give a look to Barnes Vor-TX 45-70 w/300 gr. TSX-HP for general all-round big game. For game hunting for stuff that has large teeth and claws I would test out Swift's 350 Gr A-Frame 45-70 Ammo. Not that other and cheaper bullets won't work, but I have a lot of faith in Barnes X and Swift A-frame bullets, either hand or factory loaded over the last 25 years. They have never failed me.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
I think just about everything has been covered for factory loads. I would strongly suggest that you handload for the 45-70. It will save you some moola. I never shoot factory ammo anymore.

Reactions: ridgerunner84

·
Registered
132 Posts
I load for and shoot 8 rifles in .45/70 caliber. I mostly shoot my own cast and paper patched bullets, but if you want to "stretch it out" a little, the Hornady FTX is hard to beat. I even shoot some of those in my handloads when I'm not shooting cast. The factory loads ought to be pretty good for what you are hunting. See how your rifle likes them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
handload

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I think just about everything has been covered for factory loads. I would strongly suggest that you handload for the 45-70. It will save you some moola. I never shoot factory ammo anymore.
:dito: You have a wide range of choices there and more have been given. You've got a couple that are going to be somewhat pleasant to shoot and you have some that are going to be shoulder busters. Hope your not recoil sensitive. Let us know how those work out for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.