Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ironhead pointed out in another thread that reduced recoil buckshot loads spread only about half as much as full power loads--about 1/2" per yard as opposed to 1" per yard. Also, there is a controlled spread buckshot load that will disperse even less.

What of the short "stubby" shotgun shells made by Aguilla? They are only 1 3/4" long and throw a payload of 7/8 ounce at 1200 fps. They also have reduced recoil.

How well do they feed in pump and autoloading shotguns? Anyone here have experience with them?

The potential is there to increase the magazine capacity by about 50%, but it's not worth it if they aren't 100% reliable.

Also, for home defense, using reduced recoil buckshot loads (slower velocity) might give a higher likelihood that the pellets would stay within the building and reduce the chances of causing collateral damage from penetrating multiple
inside walls.

Rifled slugs on the other hand...

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I load this way, first two shots #7 1/2, next 2 000 buck, last is slug.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
303 Posts
I keep Federal reduced recoil 00 buck loaded in my home defense 870. I also like Federal 00 buck with flight control wad. They pattern really tight.

The short shells don’t feed in my 870, so I don’t trust them at all.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I suppose low recoil loads have some attraction, on the other side standard magnum 2 3/4 and 3 inch loads are completely reasonable, what is good for big game, ought to be reasonable for other uses. Lead BB and #2, steel T shot get overlooked, and could offer a solution where limiting penetration thru multiple walls is a goal, and yet be sufficient on unprotected targets at closer ranges. Have seen deer cleanly taken with a full choke 3 inch #2 lead, you would not think it would work, but it did.

Keep my self defence shotgun loaded with a hand loaded 2 3/4 inch lead T shot at .21 diameter, every pull of the trigger is like shooting 3/4 of a box of 22s. .

·
Registered
980 Posts
In regard to any ammunition/load combo you would be shooting in any weapon for self defense, take it out to the range and use it to ensure it functions in your weapon correctly; and with a shotgun, how it patterns.

The low recoil loads are nice to shoot, but they are not something I put in my shotgun. With a little training anyone can shoot full power loads quite easily. I use the Federal 00 Buck with the Flight control wads. Results will vary in shotguns, but I'm able to keep all pellets on an IPSC silhouette out to 50 yds and I love that ability. Out to 15 yds, most all pellets are within a 4" circle ensuring all your pellets are going to stay on target.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I like #4 shot in my home protection gun. Won’t go through multiple walls, an does what a scatter guns spose to do. Any home intruders shot over 10-15 yards away will probably not be considered a home intruder.

·
Registered
85 Posts
After patterning multiple sizes of buckshot and penetration testing I am changing over to #1 Buck. It patterns best in most of my HD shotguns. The 3.5" still gets 00. If it get used over penetration will not be an issue.

What you don't have a Supermag HD shotgun?

Oh, and no I don't stack loads anymore. Everything in the tube is the same. I don't want to have to try to remember what is going to come out of the tube next.

·
Super Moderator
15,480 Posts
Leaning on 70 (next spring), age, and infirmities have limited me to a 20ga with 20 pellets of #3 Buck. It will do the job at household distances.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Ok Buckshot is not the best for HD. Buckshot 00 9 .32 cal pellets which what 80% used for home. I found out that if the BG get hit with 00 at 25yds, he may get hit with 3 or 4 pellets. Which 65% change that he will live to rob again. all Information comes from FBI reports on home shoot outs. I use BB shot for my shotgun with a turkey choke. Why? 250 bb makes hamburger meat, no way to sew that up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts