Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew! I just recieved a box of shooing junk. Two unopened (until I opened one) boxes Remington Peters paper 12 ga Dove Loads in a blue black white and orange box. How old are they? Case heads are discolored and the one I picked up was wet....Are they dangerous in any way? There is also an unopened can about 4x4x4 of Herc 2400 that is marked $2.75 on a paper tag. Several old percussion cap boxes and a full box of Kings Mills Ordance Plant 30 carbine 43 headstamp. Any of this stuff worth anything to collectors? Thanks and Regards! fof

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm far from an expurt.........but if one is wet and the rest are corroded,I would not shoot them.When dynamite get wet,it is because the nitro is leaking out of the powder.VERY SERIOUS,.Of course that is an entirely different thing.BUT to be on the safe side I'd inform the local law enforcment officals and ask them where to dispose of the shells.Save the empty boxes for the collectors. Also the cap boxes have interest to some collectors.Are they metal or paper??If the unopened can of powder is dry, you might salvage it.Open it and look for rust and especially dust.It might be beyond use too. If either is found,pour it out in a long thin trail in the dirt,no more than a half inch wide and thin enough just to make it continual.Step back a few feet and throw wooden matches at it until it ignites.Then you will see how hot it was. Even with the high prices of powder,it is hardly worth the risk of using chancy powder. Maybe this will help,but when the real knowledgable guys answer it may well be different. Good luck....modoc

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Fatoldfool,

Thats good advice from Modoc. I've had experience with ending up with powder that went brown. It really pretty easy to see at least on stick powder.

Wait to see if ROUNDWORTH weighs in on this. I think of him as our resident ammunition collection expert.

Geoff

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more stuff from the junk box

There is also a box (-2) Winchester Repeating Arms 32 Remington silvertip. the box is taped up with friction tape and masking tape. A can of Dupont (red and white can) "Superfine Gunpowder". I wonder what the age of that is?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Well..........powder cans are a whole different ball game. I have my first can of powder on the shelf. It is Hercules Unique that I bought in April of 1978. It is the tall cardboard canister with the plastic plug, which does not have the pull-out spout. I am sure that your square can is older than that. Yes, there are collectors of powder cans. Metallic cartridges were headstamped REM-UMC until 1960. After that it was R-P. Shotshells also had the REM-UMC headstamp before switching to REMINGTON-PETERS. I would assume that this also occured around 1960. Are the shells corrugated paper? What color? Roll or star crimp? I never really got into collecting shotshells, but do have some basic info. Silvertips showed up in 1940. How is the manufacturer listed on the label?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Bad powder can be simply psread on the garden. Great fertilizer. Save the can. The .30 M1 Carbine stuff is indeed worth something. Don't open that box.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Even though the 30 carbine stuff is from '43, it is not corrosive. SW

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shot gun shells

they are corrugated paper, star crimp, dark red. I am pretty sure they are junk as I looked deeper into the box and all are discolored, most are wet where they touched the box they have turned the box black. Do I just dispose of the shells and keep the box, or dispose of box and all? Who could I contact about marketing this and other boxes and ammo including a box of 1961 .45 MATCH and some older GI .45, GI .30? I have about 30 old boxes, some with ammo, and two cigar boxes of misc. live ammo I have had since I was a kid. I would of course like to get a fair price, but also not trying to hold anyone up! It would be nice to be able to get a start on some of the reloading material and tools for Marlin stuff like my .25-36! Thanks and Regards!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts