Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Ammo choice for boar

4K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  rob42049 
#1 ·
Good evening, and thanks for taking the time time to read this. I will be going on a guided hunt for european boar this coming year. I have shot quite a few boar in the past, but its always been with a 30-06, 6.5x55, etc. I would like to use my marlin 1894 in 44 magnum for this particular outing and was wondering if any of you have ever tried buffalo bore ammo out of your 1894, particularly the barnes bullet load. My gun is currently sighted in with hornady 240 gr xtp factory loads. I was wondering if this particular load would be o.k or if I should try something else. I was informed that a mature boar would be around 250 pounds. Thank you all in advance.

#2 ·
The plain Jane 240 grain soft points will do the job on any 250 lb hog I have ever run across.
I have shot more than a few of that size, probably at least 10 or 12, with that type of factory load in my B92, and never required a second shot yet.
I have also used heavier handloaded soft point bullets with equal success.
I cannot say the same for the performance of the hollow point iterations. They seem to work well on the lighter piggies, but dont have the penetration I prefer on the larger ones.
I looked at some Buffalo Bore Heavy 44 ammo once,but there was a note from the owner of Buffalo Bore listing suitable firearms in which to use it.
No lever actions were on the list.

#4 ·
I have killed lots of hogs with a 22, so your 44 should be plenty, if they are still head shoot them no wasted meat.

#6 ·
This may not be particularly useful and I know it doesn't address your question directly but I'll chime in anyway, if only peripherally. I've used Buffalo Bore ammo and think it is of top quality. I also reload with Barnes bullets and haven't found anything I like as well as them. So... if I were to extrapolate from those experiences, I'd guess you would not go wrong with BB loaded with Barnes on top.

Tim

#10 ·
Ranch Dog 265 over about 22 grains of Li'l Gun.

Oh wait...1894? Better back that off a little if not an 1892.

#11 ·
When I did a Russian boar hunt I decided to go big or stay home. Since I don't have a "big" lever like so many of you, I used my .338WM with .225gr Hornady Heavy Mags which are now called "Superformance". I was told that these boars were tough. Bring enough gun. OK, no problem here.

#12 ·
Thank all of you for taking the time to respond to this. I was told that the shot distance to be expected is 50-75 yards. As I said, Ive killed them with other calibers and some of them have died quickly and easily while others not so much. I just thought it would be fun to use a different flavor of firearm this time around. Got myself a Marlin 1894 curly maple for deer hunting here in southeast Ohio and really like it alot. The Hornady Xtp loads I have it sighted in with give about 2 to 2.5 inch groups at a hundred yards, which is as far as I will shoot with this particular rifle. Thank you all so much for your helpful advice.

#13 ·
I live in Texas and hunt them year round. I've killed them with everything from 222rem up 338Marlin express.
I have used a Marlin 44 Magnum before and within 100 yards I don't forsee a problem.
I have also used a 45 Colt.
Longest shot I ever had with a 44Magnum was a sow about 200lbs and it had to be 100 yards.
The bullets I used were 240gr federal fusion.

#14 ·
Take the 44 mag. You will be fine. I've been blessed to have shot quit a few and the 44 mag will get the job done. Shoot him behind the ear and he'll never hear the gun fire. Line

#23 ·
I've killed Texas hogs with my .44 Mag using Nosler 240 grain softpoints and Hornady 240 grain XTP's at 1750 ft/sec. But my preferred hog killer is a .303 Enfield with a 180 grain Remington Cor-Lokt roundnose. Bring enough gun, hogs will surprise you sometimes. They can be tough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.