Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought this would happen to me....

For all my hunting, I have always chose to "still hunt" (walk slowly, stop, study the surroundings, and then do it over and over again). I have always felt that I see more game by hunting this way than any other.

I guess I have finally reached that point in my life (age) where the walks have become shorter, and the pain afterward has become greater. My buddy has been hunting a small pop up blind for a couple of years now and likes doing so. He uses his blind in the mornings, still hunts midday, then returns to his blind for the late afternoon hunt. He encouraged me to give it a go. Doing this requires a bit of time pre-season scouting for a good spot to set up the blind, but also allows for a bit of still hunting during the midday.

I studied the smaller blinds that were on the market...there are many....and ended up choosing the Ameristep Dog House. A little shopping on line found one in Real Tree camo pattern, on sale, for 50.00.

I wanted to air the blind out before use, and set it up in the backyard. This gave me a good chance to choose a suitable folding chair for the purpose and get a feel for the blind, its set up and take down procedure, and to check for any flaws that could impact its use.

The Ameristep Dog House blind (which is promoted as a "two man blind") when set up has a 60" X 60" by 66" tall interior space....lots of room for me, any gear I choose to bring along, and enough room to wield a rifle comfortably to shoot out of any of the zippered openings. So far, so good. For one man use it seems to be superb.

The Dog House has a huge entrance area that when partially zippered up becomes a full side width shooting window, the other three sides also have the large zippered shooting windows and within those windows there are smaller shooting windows that have the "shoot through" mesh installed. The mesh is Velcro'd and can be easy folded down out of the way, or removed if desired. The large and small shooting access windows can be fully or partially unzipped. There are a lot of options for a full 360 degree view of the hunting area. There are also exterior "ties" on all four corners, top and bottom, for brushing out the blind for greater concealment.

The Dog House comes with metal hold down stakes (7) and "wind tie downs" as well....carrying bags for the crossbows for the top of the tent, and the hold down stakes, and a carrying case for the tent with over the shoulder straps. Weight of the packed blind is about 10 to 11 pounds, so, it is easily transportable to the hunting site.

I thoroughly checked out the blind for flaws and found one that many purchasers of this (and other blinds) have noted. In a few areas along the seams daylight can be seen (pin holes), and there are a few areas of the outer shell that have been missed by the rubberized undercoating. Most users seal the exterior with a waterproofing treatment with UV protectant (to reduce long term use fading of the shell), and touch up the pin holes and bare spots of the interior of the shell with a rubberized spray, and according to them this makes the blind as close to 100% weather proof as possible.

So, all in all I got what I expected from the online reviews, and a little touch up here and there is in order, but for the price and the benefits the Ameristep Dog House blind looks to be a pretty decent alternative to sitting exposed to weather, while adding a good deal of concealment.

This blind will be set up for the long term...it will be interesting to see how it "weathers" over time.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
I have had one for a while and while I don’t use it every year it definitely is worth the money. Great for one person, but would be tight for two. A little tricky folding it until you do it once or twice. I would recommend. I left mine set up for weeks at a time and unless damaged by wind or falling branches, it holds up well.

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I left mine set-up one time and came back and was ripped to shreds. best I can figger is a bear got in it and only way out was to rip it to shreds!. wish I had put a camera on the blind!. now back to still hunting and sitting in the woods on a stump.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
I have an earlier version of that blind and it has worked well for me but I don't leave it up year around. My blind was advertised as a two man blind--but not in reality. My grandson and I fit just fine but two adults would have problems.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
A friend uses one, she can't climb anymore. She has had deer almost stick their head through the window. One thing to remember during firearms, in my state you have to put orange on the outside somewhere. I have an orange hat I put on the roof, also put a vest on a nearby tree. REALLY don't want to get shot. My friend loves hers. Hope you do too.

I have a hub style blind. I really like it, but it weighs around 30 lbs.
V

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've had one for several years. I think these types of blinds are the best thing to come along in a long time.

Fairly easy to carry, easy to set up, fairly easy to stow with some practice. They get you out of the wind (and rain and snow) but still let you see and hear everything around, and without the need to sit perfectly still for hours at a time. You can stand up (sort of) to stretch arthritic knees, read a book, take a nap. I've had mine up for up to 2 weeks at a time without issues.

Within 15 minutes of setting up the woods are back to normal, and critters don't seem to mind the blind at all. I've had curious squirrels and birds try to come inside. I've used mine year-round to get some decent nature photos.

I'm sold on them, and would be hard pressed to sit in the woods without one.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been considering something similar and appreciate your review. Where did you buy it?
Truthfully I dont remember...but I "think" it may have been Amazon? I checked everywhere on line, and ordered the the least expensive...I believe the price was 47.00 and change.... "on sale". Although these blinds are made and sold under the Ameristep brand name, some websites sell them under "other" brand names as well, but they are manufactured by Ameristep....there are also "similar" types of hunting blinds that are not the Ameristep product. If you are in doubt you can call Ameristep (I did) to verify that it is their product. Ameristep offers a warranty and replace parts and that is why I thought it best to get the Ameristep product.

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Used mine this year keeps, you dry, and your movements out of sight, recommended.

Reactions: Flat Top

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have mine all step up at one of my hunting spots, and tomorrow I will give it a try. We are supposed to get rain and snow, so maybe will get to try out some wet weather testing! I sat in it for a few minutes when I set it up and I am not that used to being in a confined area in the woods....I guess it just will take some getting used to.......a report to come soon.

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I don't have anything like that but I love the concept! The few times I've been hunting I'd look for fallen trees and just park myself inside all the rubble and sit quietly, watching and scanning. Worked very well and was incredibly peaceful just being "out there", but didn't see any deer. Found some gigantic downed cottonwoods that were perfect natural blinds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I just got one a couple weeks ago after I sat in the rain all opening day this past season, and then the ice cold wind and snow a couple days next to trees. I saw one set up in the woods and thought, man thats what I need. Dunhams has a online coupon right now till the 18th of this month that you can print out and take to a store for I think $45. Originally it expired last month, but I guess they prolonged the sale (after season and I think they are changing them next year maybe)

I popped it up in the living room, then couldnt get it folded down. Utube was a big help!! Once you see it done, its not bad at all. The instructions didnt cut it.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update: Mine is down. After three months of being subjected to rain, sleet, ice, snow and high winds the Ameristep blind is like new! I was sick for a good part of the season, but when I could get out the blind was nice and comfortable, dry, with plenty of room for my gear and me. Wielding a 24" barreled rifle inside the blind was not much of an issue. The only problem I had was that the chair I had chosen was a bit too high (I modified an old fold up lawn chair ....shortened the legs..... to fix that). Other than that the blind was worth every penny I paid for it, and I intend on using it for turkey season this spring.

Once used to setting up and breaking the blind down..... it only takes a few minutes to move off to a different location if necessary. The packed blind weighs about 10 pounds so it is relatively easy to transport if need be, and the carrying bag has shoulder straps so you can still be hands free to use a firearm if game is encountered when moving to a new spot.

A word of caution: If you live in an area that may experience high winds, make sure that you use natural cover (brush, leaves, limbs, etc) to keep wind from coming in under the blind, and use the supplied wind tie downs. I did that with mine, and although we had winds gusting to 60 mph at times the blind stayed put and suffered no damage. Well worth the few extra minutes of set up time.

So, all in all I am pretty happy with the Ameristep Dog House Blind, and it is very roomy for one hunter plus gear, but, like others have stated, two adults would be a squeeze at best, and if you choose to hunt in tandem a larger blind would be recommended.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
The deer seem pretty oblivious to them, even if after only a day or so. They will fall apart if left in the elements for an extended period of time. The larger the better as they make one that is so small it is not usable. The biggest problem I have had with them is that on a warm sunny day with a comfortable chair inside, it is easy to nod off.

IMG_20171011_162827288.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts