Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a number of knives and hatchets and axes, some are very old, some in great shape some not. I will start this with a few that I have and periodically add a few. Might be that with those with some knowledge that we could find some shops that repair a few.

The first knife is an old knife made by "Ulster" and is a three blade folding knife, I'm certain it is an American made knife but not sure when or where. I went back and corrected the spelling of Ulster.

The next knife is another folder but with two blades made by Western USA and is a #652.

The last one is one of my three blade OLD TIMER by Schrade USA #890T.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Janot thank you for the great pictures of your knives. The two stockmen's knives are both interesting, the Ulster is a great variation, the Old Timer is a tried and true standby. The Western looks like a whittler but I'm sure it's not, can't seem to remember the name of that style but it sure is handy. I carry and prefer the stockmen's style, the Uncle Henry Signature to be exact. Great pictures, keep them coming and thanks again.

MM

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will start measuring the blades and they could be identified better.

The first knife which I miss spelled is an Ulster and the overall length open with the longest blade is 5 and 13/16" inches long making the main blade about 2 and 7/16" long.

The Western is 5 and 3/4" open overall and 2 and 3/8" inch main blade.

The Old Timer is just under 7" open and the main blade is a tad over 3"

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the one's I have were hand-me downs and some I bought. Lots of American made knives are custome made and cost an arm and leg, not sure if they would be worth the investment or not. Good quality but with so many being made I doubt if many would be a very smart investment. I think it's more wise to buy the old knives that were known in their day.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Joe I agree on buying the old stuff, it's almost always way better quality too, those old timers were craftsmen and they really took pride in their work. I always keep an eye out, it's fun to look.

Jesse

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wouldn't that Olster be a Cigar pattern, or maybe a small Stockman?
The western looks like a simple Pen knife from here, but what do I know?
Whatever pattern they are, I like em!

Great idea janott.
Here's a couple of my older ones. Estwing, and Barlow.

I have several newer US made knives, mostly semi custom, I'll add more as the thread moves along.
Charlie

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hi Janott,
I have one of those old Schrade's as well. I think I was about 14 (some time in the last century, boy that makes me feel old) when I saved up enough money to buy one. This was in Oz and yes the American stuff was really good quality.
A great mate of mine was born in the late 1940's and I make it a habit to ask him, "What's it like to be born in the first half of the last century?"
It's funny how there is no response, just a steely stare. Maybe he is thinking of something cute to say.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MyDogsHunt, Not sure about the Ulster knives maker, what they made or where they are from. Lots of company's that made tools also made other items. I did go back to my original post and corrected the spelling to Ulster.

moofy07, Schrade was one of the best knives ever made and if I'm lucky enough to find one I get it. The one pictured above is probably not very old but a good keeper. I would ask my sister what it's like to have been born in the first half of the last century but I would probably get hit. ;D

The next pictures are two Buck knives, the single folder is the common #110 and the three blade folder is a #303, the middle blade is unfortunately broken. I decided to throw in my BSA hatchet and it is a very old one.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Great idea Joe,Wish I was at my house Id put up some.Im over at Debs.Rained me out of work today.Nothing to do :D worked 15 hours and 50min yesterday to sit home today.But at least Im home,and not layed over at some truck stop 800 miles from home ;D Like them knifes. Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wondered how long

gunrunner said:
Great idea Joe,Wish I was at my house Id put up some.Im over at Debs.Rained me out of work today.Nothing to do :D worked 15 hours and 50min yesterday to sit home today.But at least Im home,and not layed over at some truck stop 800 miles from home ;D Like them knifes. Gunrunner,,
Hey bud! I figured that you would be along here sooner or later. ;D I know you have some good American made knives so lets show-em off. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well,,, since the manufacturer de jure seems to be Buck,,,,,,,,,, here's a couple.

Vanguard 192, and an old fixed blade I've had for at least thirty years. Not sure of the model, although the sheath says 102. I've carried this one more than any knife I own.

Surely the rest of ya'll have some knives that ain't made in China.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Ill be home this weekend.Got some Ill put up.Case,old timer,uncle henry,old bucks,boker and such. Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Hey Janott,
Yeah, I guess self preservation from family members comes before being a smart ar$&. better safe than being hit.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
moofy07 said:
Hey Janott,
Yeah, I guess self preservation from family members comes before being a smart ar$&. better safe than being hit.
Yeah, but sometimes my mouth moves before my brain is in full operation and that there can get a guy in deep stuff real fast. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Joe those are some great knives and that little BSA hatchet is a treasure! Keep them coming, I'll snap some pictures of some of mine and put em up too.

Charlie I've got an old friend hunting knife that's traveled plenty of miles with me, I'll put up a picture or two.

Keem em coming boys.

Jesse

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Yeah, I know been there done that. I guess I should go by the old adage, "Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear." My problem sometimes is I don't drive a stick.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Heres a few of mine Ive found on her conputer.The first two I made,Might not be collectors but they were made in Enoree SC ;) The drawing sure aint, but I made it for a friend whos daughter sent me pictures, so I sent her one of her Dad,with the knife. The bone handled one below the hen and rooster knife was made for me by a guy in Charlotte NC. Gunrunner,,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
Heres two uncle henrys of mine. Ill put more up when I get home. Be nothing fancy though. Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
578 Posts
No where near as collectible as Joe's BSA, but US made none the less.

Bone handled small trapper and double bit camp axe I picked up recently. Both by More Maker in Texas.
Haven't used the axe yet, but the knife's definitely a keeper.
Charlie

Oh BTW,,,,, I was born in the first half of the last millenium. Thanks for reminding me. :-[

1 - 20 of 138 Posts