Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here it is. I love the 44 mags and I currently own 4 of them all Marlins. Soon to be 3. I posted for sale my unfired marlin 100th anniversary 44 awhile ago for 875 with the box, which is not in the best shape(the box). I didn't get any responses until recently but I have really taken a liken to the rifle even though I don't shoot it. The guy who is buying it made it so easy that all I have to do is drop it off at my local gun shop and pick up my money order. So when he asked me if the price was firm I said I would sell it for 800. But I am starting to get sellers remorse and am just wondering if that is a fair price. And I could really use the money right now but could get by without it. Please can I get you guys thoughts.
Thanks guys, Todd.

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
It says in your post that you told him that you would sell it to him for $800.00. If I give my word I stick to it. If it is the case of really breaking your heart then maybe you should apologize and offer a great deal on one of the others. After that you need to make sure of what you really want to do before doing it in the future.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't know if the price is fair or not. But if you told the feller you'd take $800, I think you ought to take $800.

I've priced some items before and wished that I hadn't spoken so quickly. But I didn't back out. If he accepts you should take it. If he turns it down then you can raise the price. But your word is worth a whole lot more than the rifle.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The advice given above is spot on. Period.

Our health and our integrity are the things we should protect at all cost. Without them, whatever we do have means very little.

If your remorse is unbearable, offer your buyer an amount to buy out of the deal. The amount of cash you're willing to part with is a test of how much you want to retain ownership. Is it worth $50? $100?

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
OK here it is. I love the 44 mags and I currently own 4 of them all Marlins. Soon to be 3. I posted for sale my unfired marlin 100th anniversary 44 awhile ago for 875 with the box, which is not in the best shape(the box). I didn't get any responses until recently but I have really taken a liken to the rifle even though I don't shoot it. The guy who is buying it made it so easy that all I have to do is drop it off at my local gun shop and pick up my money order. So when he asked me if the price was firm I said I would sell it for 800. But I am starting to get sellers remorse and am just wondering if that is a fair price. And I could really use the money right now but could get by without it. Please can I get you guys thoughts.
Thanks guys, Todd.
Todd I dont know you and you dont know me. But myself a persons word well it is all about the character of that person. I always been that way if I say something and have doubts afterword well tough cookie I will stick by what I said. But at the end of the day I can live with myself.

·
Premium Member
15,451 Posts
time to cowboy up and keep your word, despite it now being a decision regretted , we have all suffered sellers remorse at one time or another, the pain goes away, but the fact that you did not keep your word and maintain your integrity will stay with you for ife

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree, you will get over the sellers remorse. I have it for every firearm I ever sold but in the long run I remember why I sold it in the first place and am happy for the guy I sold it too. As said by all "Your word is your bond".

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys,
I was and am still going to sell the rifle to the guy, that wasnt really what I was getting at but I guess it came across that way. I mean he really made it easy for me hense the lowering of the price to 800 from 875. I just wanted I guess to see if that was a fair price which I think it is because it is really just the rifle considering the box is not in good shape. I told him the box really isn't in good shape before price was set. I like the rifle I just don't want him expect more than it is which is an unfired rifle with a beat up box. I did tell him that he will be very happy with the rifle. But he keeps telling me that all I have to do is bring the rifle and the box and all that is in the box, which is just the box and the rifle. So my question is that it is more than a fair price for the rifle considering it is an unfired anniversary rifle right? I don't know I just keep feeling like he is expecting more, maybe it is just me because he seemss to be fine with it. The price was set at 875 even after i told him I only lowered it because he was making it so easy and he asked if there was any wiggle room on the price so I lowered it to 800 which I think was a lot from 875. I just need to get over it an as long as I feel comfortable at 800 and I told him what he is getting then I really am thinking about it to much.
Thanks again guys, Todd

·
Registered
845 Posts
You may not feel it right now, since nothing's final, but once you back out on the deal, it'll gnaw at you for a long time. In the end, people will remember you more by your actions than what you owned or didn't own. I was just at a memorial service today for a guy who was a man of his word and a man of action, and the size of the crowd there to honor him, 400 plus, said more than any of his prized possessions.

And yes, $800 seems fair...there are times when supply/demand might make it higher or lower, but in the end, if it's what a willing buyer wants to pay, then it's fair.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
$800 sounds good even a little high, but...that's just me.

The 1970 model with the medallion in the stock isn't a high priced, highly sought after gun.

$800 is approaching the prices a Limited octagon will bring.

I myself would prefer a model without the medallion.

I think you did well....and besides, you did tell him $800.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts