Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Hoo9 that is an absolutely gorgeous rifle, and it seems to shoot and function well unless the lever pops open. That is where the problem is. I have since researched this issue online and there is quite a bit of information about it that I wasn't aware of before buying or when I first became aware of my gun having this issue. Henry customer service has been absolutely fantastic like you always hear. I have no complaints there as they have lived up to their reputation and then some.

When I first contacted them about the lever popping open while loading the tube magazine and not being able to close the lever again after it pops open when there are shells in the magazine, they immediately sent me a shipping label to return for repair. It only took 13 days for the gun to make it back to NJ for repair and back to me again. The lever seems to hold a little tighter but it will still pop open while loading (if I don't hold down the lever) and if the lever pops open (doesn't take much pressure to cause this) with shells in the magazine, the action has to be cycled before the lever can be closed and the triggered pulled. Not a desirable characteristic in a hunting rifle and I don't know that I am okay with this. Henry has provided me with another shipping label to return the rifle for a full refund.

I have literally taken the gun out of the safe at least a half dozen times to pack it and send it back. Because the wood is so darn good looking, I keep putting it back and making myself think about it some more to make sure I want a refund. Who knows, maybe the lever will never pop open on me while hunting but you never know when hiking through thick cover. I don't want to not get a shot because the lever pops and I have to cycle the action to eject the shell from the chamber and feed a new one before being able to pull the trigger. I don't think this is something they can fix since they offered a refund and apparently it is a known design flaw. Once that lever moves slightly, a shell is released from the magazine which is why the lever can't be fully closed again. I have contacted various gun shops to have them try their .30-30s and have not been able to find any that do not have the flaw. As a matter of fact, all of the gun shops were unaware of this (which surprised me) and were going to contact their distributors to see what could be done.

Just this morning, I was finally going to ship it and decided to think about it a little more and try to make up my mind. I have a few more days before the shipping label expires. What do you fellow H009 owners think? Am I being too picky about this design flaw? Are you hunters not bothered by this issue with your rifles? If it was a Marlin or Remlin, I would have sent it back by now but the wood, fit and finish, light weight, ghost ring sights, etc. are just so nice that I am having a heck of a time deciding. Mr. Imperato did tell me that they will soon start producing rifles in a Wisconsin factory and that the problem will hopefully be worked out by then and that he would like me to give them another try. The problem there is I would have to return this rifle and then hold onto that money for who knows how long without spending it on other hunting and fishing needs!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tough call. They do have fantastic customer service at least. Does the lever still pop open with a round chambered? I would probably keep it personally, or see if they would swap for a different caliber. I have handled a few of the H009's, but never fired one.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Send it back and get the refund. The senario of having to cycle the action after a round is chambered is unacceptable too me regardless of it's bueaty. I would take the refund and start checking for another H009, and check the lever on them till I found one that works properly as I too think the Henry's are quite bueatiful. I'm sure with some diligence you can find one that works properly.
JB

·
Registered
317 Posts
Send it back until it's right. I like Henrys but I wouldnt settle with it being unreliable from the start. Then agian it might stop doin it after you get more rounds thru it but personally I'd send it back before goin in the woods.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
I have to agree that I could not feel comfortable hunting with a rifle that does this. If it is a design flaw, then all H009's would suffer from the same issues. I'm sure they are working on a design change, if this indeed is an unfixable situation with the current design. I'd wait until the change or buy a different rifle.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree. There is another issue also. Here is an E-mail that I received from Garrett cartridges when inquiring about the ability of Henry 45-70 rifles to handle +P ammo. I have called Henry twice myself, and so far they are saying not to use +P ammo in their rifles.

Ashley Emerson ([email protected])
To: 'Tom xxx

Hi Tom,
We were just discussing that last night. We sent some sample rounds to Henry and we’re waiting to hear back from them. We’ll probably do a follow up call today or tomorrow. We will let you know what if anything we find out. Thanks for your interest and we’ll get back to you.
Be safe, Deanna

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree. There is another issue also. Here is an E-mail that I received from Garrett cartridges when inquiring about the ability of Henry 45-70 rifles to handle +P ammo. I have called Henry twice myself, and so far they are saying not to use +P ammo in their rifles.

Ashley Emerson ([email protected])
To: 'Tom xxx

Hi Tom,
We were just discussing that last night. We sent some sample rounds to Henry and we’re waiting to hear back from them. We’ll probably do a follow up call today or tomorrow. We will let you know what if anything we find out. Thanks for your interest and we’ll get back to you.
Be safe, Deanna

No firearm manufacturer will tell you it is safe to use 45-70+P since there is no SAAMI standard. +P could mean anything from 100psi over SAAMI specs to 25,000psi over.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree that +P can mean many things, but both Garrett and Grizzly manufacture 45-70 +P cartridges for grizzly and african game hunting. They have gone to many lengths to test rifles, with the cooperation of rifle makers, and they have liability issues to consider also. They are just asking for Henry to help in confirming their own test results, and Henry has assured me that when their testing is done, if Garrett +P ammo is safe in their rifles, they will say so. For more info on this..... Garrett Cartridges

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
No GUN manufacturer will ever put anything on paper saying it's safe to use +P (ammo that generates anything above SAAMI working pressures) ammo in their guns.
Their legal department will veto that in no uncertain terms and even if the legal department didn't the companies liability insurance underwriter certainly would.
If a rifle(s) blew up the civil lawsuit ramifications could break the company.

**we've been pushing +P (above SAAMI cartridge max pressure specs) ammo out of our Marlin 1895s and Winchester 1886s & 1894s for years but if you ask the gun manufacturing companies themselves they will not OK anything over and above the SAAMI specs in writing. If there is anything in writing from Marlin that OKs the use of +P ammo in their guns I have never seen it and I've unboxed a lot of Marlins in my day and YES I did read the included owners manual.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That's already been proven wrong. Marlin and Garrett worked hand in hand to develop the criteria for +P ammo, and Randy Garrett will be glad to show you where it is in writing! Read the above link. He is on our side in this, and puts his own liability on the table.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
No GUN manufacturer will ever put anything on paper saying it's safe to use +P (ammo that generates anything above SAAMI working pressures) ammo in their guns.
Their legal department will veto that in no uncertain terms and even if the legal department didn't the companies liability insurance underwriter certainly would.
If a rifle(s) blew up the civil lawsuit ramifications could break the company.

Gotta disagree, you can buy a Ruger chambered for 38 Spedcial +P and it's written right
on the barrel.
Some guns are designed to handle +P loads. Boberg for example has no problem with
+P loads in their guns.

But if you called Ruger like I did and asked can you use Buffalo Bore, Garrett and I think one other
brand their answer was "NO".

As far as Henry goes as I have said many times in the past. Regardless of how good their
CS is it doesn't make up for the gun being a POS. I mean how many times have they failed
to fix it?!?!
If you want quality, Henry isn't the answer. They make a decent cheap gun and it's USA
made but that's about it. It's no Marlin or Winchester.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Gotta disagree, you can buy a Ruger chambered for 38 Spedcial +P and it's written right
on the barrel.
Some guns are designed to handle +P loads. Boberg for example has no problem with
+P loads in their guns.

But if you called Ruger like I did and asked can you use Buffalo Bore, Garrett and I think one other
brand their answer was "NO".

As far as Henry goes as I have said many times in the past. Regardless of how good their
CS is it doesn't make up for the gun being a POS. I mean how many times have they failed
to fix it?!?!
If you want quality, Henry isn't the answer. They make a decent cheap gun and it's USA
I was talking about rifles..........I have a snub 38 SPL that says +P as well.
I made the same inquiries as you did and got the same answers.

I was never impressed with any of the Henry rifles I handled in the local gun shops.
Those yellow beasts need a good pair of biceps to lift and shoulder........about 8.5 pounds !
And no receiver loading port........that's sacrilege.

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Huh? I really have to disagree. Is a Henry H001 as nice as a Browning BL-22?. No, but the Browning costs twice as much as the Henry. Not only that, but at $300, the Henry is a unique value. Walnut stock, beautiful blued barrel, action that's slick as snot right out of the box... made in America, and backed by an amazing company, with wonderful customer service.

I have an H009. I don't see how anyone could say it's not a high quality rifle. Mine has pretty wood, with nearly perfect wood to metal fit and really nice cut checkering. The bolt and lever look almost identical to my father-in-law's 1978 336, but the action on my Henry was smoother, and the trigger was better right out of the box than the 36 year old Marlin. The barrel on the Henry is nicely blued, and it came with XS Ghost Ring sights. All for about $50 more than a new Remlin 336 that may or may not be built right.

I guess I'm really puzzled by your statement. Henry uses quality materials and quality workmanship in all their products.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've owned Henry's, looked at plenty more of them. If you look at their internal parts
they aren't built as well as you think.
Henry owners tend to love their guns and are normally on a first name basis with
Customer Service which they think is great, even if they do have to ship the
rifle back to the company 3-4 times to be fixed correctly.

Henry is the Walmart of guns, they sell a lot of them at Walmart and the quality
of that painted receiver, just screams cheap.

Henry is not the original Henry of days long past.
It's a copy of a copy.

Good for hunting in the brush, won't care if it gets scratched, dropped
in the mud, etc...
But it's never going to be a Browning, Marlin or Winchester.

It cost a lot less because it's built cheaper in many ways.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I guess I'm really puzzled by your statement. Henry uses quality materials and quality workmanship in all their products.
Guns sporting plastic parts and fake brass (brassite) doesn't say "quality" to me.
That yellow Henry in 44 Mag I hefted in a LGS last year should have came with wheels or a fork lift.
I ain't luggin 8 1/2 pounds of gun thru the bush deer hunting.
I wound up buying a used pre-safety Amadeo Rossi 92 trapper in 44 Mag for half the money of the Henry that weighed less than 6 pounds.
Beautiful little rifle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.