Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at easton game getters, 400 spine. with a 125gr point and 30gr insert. it gives me a total weight of 517gr and 9.4gr per pound. the bow is a 55# recurve. im shooting carbons right now and by the time i get enough GPP theyre waaaay front heavy and dont fly right. think this combo would work for me? i know the only way to be sure is to try it.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Bare shaft tune the to perfection, and shoot a good cut on contact broadhead and you will have know problems with your setup .

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
No doubt if ya get that set up tuned good it will be plenty for big game. I use carbons and put all the weight up front but there sure aint nothing wrong with alum. Just different ways ta skin the cat.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pretty much what i was thinkin but i wanted to run it by you guys first. thanks.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
How front heavy are you talking about?

I've heard of fellas putting about 300 to 350 grains up front between the inserts and heavy points and getting fantastic flight. There are a couple websites where EFOC was a hot topic not too long ago. EFOC is "extreme front of center" meaning the balance point is way forward due to high point weight. The trick is to put just enough point weight in the front to match the spine weight which will give you great flight but if you put too much for the stiffness of the arrow it will act like you are underspined and flight will be poor. Guys shooting the EFOC arrows shoot pretty high spines to get them to work but penetration tests have proven that they out perform most conventional shaft setups. That's hard for a die hard woodie shooter like me to admit but I've heard it from too many sources to doubt it. Thing is, unless hunting dangerous game where maximum penetration is a requirement it don't really matter. A properly tuned wood arrow will blow through a deer like it's not even there. The question becomes, how far into the ground do you feel you need to stick your arrow after it goes through the deer?

I went to the Easton site and used their spine calculator for a 55# recurve and 29" arrow and it showed a 400 gamegetter being correct. Before you go buying more arrows, how about letting us know what your setup is like. What is your nock height and brace height? How far from center shot is your riser cut? What is your actual draw length? What is your actual arrow length from the nock groove to the back of the point? Do you have a high performance (low stretch) string like fastflight or dyna97? If your draw is above or below 28", it will make a difference in the spine needed. I'd play around with some different point weights to see what works with the shafts you have. If going to say a 90 gr point gives you great arrow flight, then the shafts are underspined for your bow with the 125 grain points. If something like a 160 grain point flies great, then the 400's are stiff for the 125 grain point you have. Once you get a grasp of what happens as you change draw length, draw weight, point weight etc and how they all effect your tuning you will be able to breeze through getting set up with new shafts.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
I like ah high FOC myself but wouldnt waste my time arguin someone over it. Dave I know what ya mean about cedars its hard ta do. Have ya ever tried woody weights? I got some but haven tried em out yet. My boy wants ta go cedar next year so I might give em ah try.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well after reading around a little bit, i think it may have something to do with my tiller. no matter where i put my nock on the string my arrow flies tail high. i did a little tweakin today and my arrows have leveled out quite a bit. i shoot 3 under so i raised my nock point all the way up to an inch and worked down from there. it looks wierd but its happy at 7/8 with a brace height of 7 1/2" i had previously tried nock point from 3/8 to 5/8 with no luck.

my riser is center cut with a .060 strike plate which puts the centerline of my arrow +1/4" from center. my draw length is right at 28" measured from the front of the bow, and arrows are 29".

im not having issues with fishtailing, just porposing.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Well, I was going to mention about going high and working down but didn't want to throw too many variables into the mix. 7/8" nock height is not unheard of. It is a bit higher than the norm but I've heard of guys going as high as 1". Most of my bows are right around 1/2" give or take a 16th. It might still be a little bit spine related though as I've heard that the high nock point is more forgiving of spine. It's possible that your spine might be off a bit and the high nock offsets that. If I were you I'd still play around with your point weight and see what that gets you. If you are a full 1/4" off center, that's quite a bit. Most bows are cut 1/8 to 1/16th short of center. The extra on your bow might make it like your arrows are too stiff by a bit. If you can come up with some points in the 140 or 160 grain range, I'd give them a try from back down at about a 1/2" nock point. Ya might be surprised. Although you might be onto something with the tiller as most bowyers will ask if you shoot split finger or 3 under when you order a bow and will tiller accordingly. I'm betting though that you are just a tad stiff. If you have one of your arrows that is not cut back to 29" or if you can come up with a new one the same spine and try it full length the longer arrow might shoot fine.

I think we're on the right track though.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ooops, just reread your last post and noted that you are talking about the "centerline" of your arrow being 1/4" from center. I read it the first time as the bow being cut 1/4" short of center.

Well, either way, I'd play with point weights next.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
H bomb... I shoot split finger. One above and two below. If I drop my bottom finger my tuned arrows will hit one foot nock high. I have bent 2216's from this before. The way you learn to shoot recurve or lb is exactly the way you are going about it. You can learn the fundamentals , draw,anchor, aim, release, and follow through, and then fine tune those steps. Shooting these bows can at times be aggravateing as heck, but just remember you are doing this for "fun".

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dave,
ive tried points from 100gr all the way up to 250 with the same results, nock high.

rooterpig,
i havent shot split finger a whole lot, it just doesnt feel right for me. i might try it a little bit today and see if there is any difference in my arrow flight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts