Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy came to the table Sat, small show in Reno, saying he had a Marlin 1893 carbine. He described it from a non gun guy description, but apparently had access to the net. So I said bring it in, and was crossing my fingers.

He drags in an 1893, with a turned down two step round barrel, some kind of barrel shroud front sight, something off a bolt action, a 50s lyman buckhorn rear, as well as a very nice example of a Winchester fore end cap on a two thirds magazine tube.

other than that, the gun was typically nice. ::)

I still cant figure out what the heck the gunsmith was doing. Cant tell if he turned an octagon down, or threaded a piece of water pipe, or just what. Of course the guy didnt believe a word I told him. Finally got to the rubber on the road, said he wouldnt take a nickel less than 3 hundred. I thanked him for bringing it in, and walked off wondering again, about the history of guns like this, and wondered what in the heck guys were thinking at the time. ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bubba does some crazy stuff some time. ;D and most uneducated gun guys don't like to think their 1 of a kind isn't worth lots of cash !!!! Don

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had he said 250, I might well have paid it. I detest the idea of parting out rifles, but on this one, everything back of the action face was righteous. There simply had to be more than 250 in parts value, stock, buttplate etc.

We set up next to an AZ guy there in Reno, who comes with a pocket full of cash, and buys ever doggy Win he can locate. I mean he looks at every table in the show, and invariably leaves with 15 or 20 old guns, most would consider a wall hanger. He then parts them out on Ebay, etc.

But figuring a crescent buttplate off a Winchester, sells for 100 bucks and more, I cant really blame the guy. And the guns he buys, are far too trashed to consider any restoration.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
uh.... not sure WHERE on here I saw it, but (I just pull the digest version of postings)...

I think someone has posted that VERY RIFLE on here, with pix! Not sure if it was the same one, but the general description seems like it was. Matter of fact - it HAD to be!

As I recall - 1893 frame, take down 1894 bbl. (Guessing bbl was maybe a 30-30), but poster said serial # indicated frame was a 25-20 (again, as I recall). And no way a 30-30 rnd would even remotely fit in the loading gate!

Dead giveaway, as you describe, is the two-stepped turned down bbl and Winchester fore end! And the poster semi-joked that there was another rifle out there somewhere, maybe, that was identical, but in exact reverse regarding frame and bbl!

Sad part is, it looks like a beautiful rifle!

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
OK - I feel like an idiot!!! You two guys were on the other post - also in Marlin Collectors section!

Got one over on me!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries here, I qualify for idiot status least once a week, if not daily. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts