Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last weekend thunderstorms here in south Texas left alot of the creeks and rivers flooded. Me and my cousin went fishing on Friday and I caught a 130 pound alligator gar. I didn't have a measuring tape, but the gar should have measured about 7 foot long. If anyone wants, I can post the picture later this week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caught it w/ a rod and reel and then a 22lr. He was about to break my liter line so I had to shoot him in the head twice

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

sorry for the quaility of the picture.
The alligator gar was about 6'-10" - 7'-0", and 130 lbs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow! thats a Hoss! I like the 22 caliber idea.
I have become adept at popping Bowfins (grinnels) in the head while holding my
rod n reel in one hand and a 10/22 ruger in the other.
I have shot my lure out of their mouths on more than one occasion though. Nice Fish you got there. Are you taking it to the taxidermist, or did yall eat it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gave it to my next door neighbor. He says that he will have a fish fry this weekend. I have the head drying out for a skull mount.

·
Registered
289 Posts
AWESOME!

Have bow-fished for carp a lot....always wanted to get one of those!

Jarhead Ed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a bit of help please, what is this?

Never seen anything like this before, and I thought we had weird animals here.

Any info or a link to explain, I'm a keen fisherman and meet croc's here but nothing like this thing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a 7'-0" 130lbs. alligator gar. I believe that the Texas record was caught back in the mid 50's and weighted around 300lbs. I believe, once they get over 60lbs?, they change sex from male to female. I caught this one about a month or so ago when it was flooding down here in Texas. I caught it at the point where two creeks converge into the Colorado River.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
oinksec, that is a freshwater fish called an alligator gar. There are several species of gar; one has a long prehistoric looking snout (longnose gar). The alligator gar is the largest. They are most common, and grow the largest, in the warm waters of the southern US. They have lots of really big sharp teeth, and armor-like scales. They mostly eat other fish, and are a ferocious predator. I have the skull of a longnose gar on the fireplace mantel. Guests think it is a prehistoric bird skull.

The Dentist

1 - 20 of 26 Posts