Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were afraid to ask!

Ok guys, I took one apart to give a once over and measure and here is what I found.

1.COL - 2.531"
2.case - 1.8865"
3.Bullet - 1.255" - I was wrong about no cannelure, its there, just doesn't show on any of the rounds I've looked at so far.
4.Powder charge - 45.1 gr. It appears to be the same "TYPE" powder as
used by Hornady.

For reference:
Hornady 200 FTX - 1.219"
Hornady 250 RN - 1.261"

The Remington Bullet has more lead exposed than the Hornady. It's ogive stops earlier because it's cannelure is proper for the 338 EX.

Pictures to follow, my Camera's Battery is getting a charge.

Hope this helps those who, like me, wanted to know.

Happy Easter!

Ron

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Yes, and what is an FXP? How about some pics of the Remington and the Hornady LE side by side?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FXP-FTX whatever ;D jeez I said the camera battery had to charge up ::) ;D ;D ;)

I say again Chrono down, have no idea how fast, you tell me?! :)

Left to right:
Hornady 250 Gr - Hornady .338EX 200 Gr. - Rem 250 Gr.

As you can see the Rem has more lead showing, in the nose, should open up quicker/better given the vel. but being that its not quite as streamlined my guess is that it will drop faster. JMO.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks! That powder charge helps me "bracket" what speed powder they're using.

Based on that weight, I suspect it's a tad faster than the RL17 I tried. I tried this powder first, as it's supposed to be optimized for the "Short Magnum" cartridges and the .338ME follows the same format- short and fat, and decent powder capacity. My results were encouraging, but I need to be confident in my chrono readings before proceeding further.

I suspect the factory powder to be something a tad slower than LVR or #2520. Maybe even LVR or close derivitive.
I haven't finished working up a 200gr FTX load for my rifle yet, so as soon as I settle on a powder charge with the LVR, I may follow up with a 250gr work-up.

I'd love to have some of the 250gr Corlokts in component form, but doubt that well ever see them offered. Besides, the Hornady's will likely penetrate deeper anyhow.
Too little time!!!

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
At least the cannelure is in the right place on the Remington.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hmmm...I might just have to get me some Hornady 250's and use my cannelure tool on them and experiment with placement and accuracy results...maybe after I shoot mine first with factoey stuff to see what I'm starting with ;D

·
Registered
25 Posts
My testing so far centered on my rifles functioning problems covered in another thread. What I did find on only a couple of 250 rems @ 150 yds
1 they impacted lower than the 200 Hdy
2 they went further into the wet dirt hillside than the Hdy and stayed together much like the 200 gr 358 rem. The Hdy seperated.
This is wet dirt and probably not comparable to flesh and bone, but to me demonstrated the rem is a good penetrater and tougher at it's intended velocity than the Hdy at it's velocity at 150 yds anyway
Not very extensive experience at this point. O and my chrono needs fixing too-Must be some thing that happens to people at this site :p
L8

1 - 9 of 9 Posts