Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I ordered my Dillon 550C on 3-20-21 and the website said it was on back order and would be about 3 weeks to ship. Much to my surprise I got tracking numbers for two packages on the 23rd and yesterday I received the new press and the 550 upgrade kit that includes the stand, roller handle and a couple bins and brackets.
Of course I was so exited I started putting everything together and realized the free caliber conversion kit wasn't in the box and it seems that they didn't ship that until the 26th via USPS. So I got a big pretty blue bench ornament to look at until my 9mm shell plate gets here sometime next week
51DD87BC-7B74-42D7-A29D-EDBC368BBC79.jpeg

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sometimes in life, the most exciting things are those that you can see but not actually physically enjoy! 🤣 memtb

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I only have made two upgrades to my 550. I added a light and the bearing to the indexed.
The only repair has been to the primer tube plastic primer holder. Did you get Dillon Dies? For high volume cast loading they are awesome.

Reactions: vt4ster and PWB

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have Lee dies for everything I shoot right now so I will wait a while and recoup some funds before I start replacing them.
I don't think I mentioned this before but after loading with a Lee single stage press for the last 8 or 9 years I bought a Lee Breech lock Progressive press a few mouths ago and it was a very frustrating and disappointing experience. I saved all of the boxes from that stuff and I think it's going to end up on E-Bay in the near future. Buy the time I added the prices all of the add-on stuff for that Lee press I could have had the Dillon for about the same money and the difference in quality of the two presses is like day and night. I've never had any complaints about my Lee stuff, from molds to dies but that Auto Breechlock Pro is a real POS.

·
Premium Member
16,789 Posts
Hey RHP,

You are going to like that!

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
Looks nice! I fought the good fight on a Hornady AP for years before I bought a 750 last summer. Night and day lol!! Might want to check out Kinetic Art for some cool toolhead storage options...

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
A few years back I inquired with Dillon if there was an upgrade path from the 550B to a 650XL (now 750) where we could get a turn in credit for shellplates and toolheads towards the newer machine. They said they do not have such a program so with all that I have invested in my 550 I decided to stick with it. I have no complaints about Dillon and they have been excellent with their "NO BS" customer service policy.

Reactions: PWB

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Dillon is a stand-up company, you'll get your stuff.

Bought a 550 in 1989, used it to load 45 ACP Bullseye competition ammo for years.
Had to drop out of competition in 2001. Press sat dormant until 2009.

When I fired it up, the last primer alert wouldn't work. Emailed Dillon... and they sent me an entire, upgrade assembly... FOR FREE!

Even though most of my reloading equipment is Lee, there is no better reloading company on the planet.than Dillon. The adage "better to cry once than cry twice" is absolutely true with Dillon, a company that you absolutely get what you pay for, and more.

Reactions: PWB

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have 2 Dillon 550s and 2 Lyman Tmag 2s, like either machine. I can run one system just as fast as the other. I prime on the machines. One system moves the work to the tool while the other moves the tool to the work. My only Dillon upgrade is a primer alarm, don’t see the need for a powder alarm as it’s right in front of your face, duh. I’ve done a bunch of stuff to my Lyman presses to speed up the process. Never owned a Lee or Hornady progressive press. You’ll enjoy your 550. A solid machine. A swivel desk light with the 4 parallel arms mounted to a shelf above your press is a great addition as you can position the light where you need it. I have four set up around my reloading room. You can find them for a few dollars at a goodwill or habitat store.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've been using Dillon presses since 1983 or so. You'll really enjoy that 550C and crank out some good ammo with it.

I have no way of estimating the number of rounds that I've loaded through my Dillons, but like the Ever Ready Bunny: They keep going and going and going.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am using Hornady presses as my Dillon 550 ended up at my son's place.
Golphin, you are a helluva dad to do that for your son. After recently switching to a 550 from a hornady progressive, I am not sure I could go back.

RHP, it will be worth your wait. I am using mine for 45 and 9 and love it. It compares to my Spolar for ease of use and is certainly a much better value. 38/357 quick change is next. Enjoy.

Regards,

Kris

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I began reloading on a Lyman T-mag about 20 years ago, and bought a Dillion 550B about 10 years ago. I tend to swap back and forth between the two since I’ve accumulated dies for each press. A drop down LED light for the center of my Dillion is one of the best accessories I’ve added to my Dillon. I have bench lights with plenty of illumination but the LED lets me see inside of the case when dropping powder. You won’t regret making the investment in a Dillon. Enjoy!!

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
I only use my Dillon for pistol calibers and 223\5.56. I don't use it for bigger rifle calibers. Still use the single stage press and check every round in a cartridge gauge. I was used to hand weighing every charge for my service rifle match ammo. Even weigh every head and group by the same weight. It does make a difference when you go out to 600 yrds. I found that once you zero on a particular batch you can be assured of your sight change results when you group them by head weight. The only other ammo I can say is a close 2nd in accuracy to home made is the Military M118 LC Match with the 173grn BT bullet but this is not easy to get as it once was. Some matches would supply everyone with M80 Ball 308 to make sure that Military supported teams did not have an advantage over competing Civilians (At least with ammo). They still had the best shooters and equipment as they don't have to pay for their own match prepped rifles and practice ammo.

Reactions: PWB and Travis 186

·
Registered
16 Posts
Enjoy your Dillon 550, I got lazy changing primer tubes and setup so I have two, one for large primers and one for small primers. Going to order another roller handle for the other.

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
I only use my Dillon for pistol calibers and 223\5.56. I don't use it for bigger rifle calibers. Still use the single stage press and check every round in a cartridge gauge. I was used to hand weighing every charge for my service rifle match ammo. Even weigh every head and group by the same weight. It does make a difference when you go out to 600 yrds. I found that once you zero on a particular batch you can be assured of your sight change results when you group them by head weight. The only other ammo I can say is a close 2nd in accuracy to home made is the Military M118 LC Match with the 173grn BT bullet but this is not easy to get as it once was. Some matches would supply everyone with M80 Ball 308 to make sure that Military supported teams did not have an advantage over competing Civilians (At least with ammo). They still had the best shooters and equipment as they don't have to pay for their own match prepped rifles and practice ammo.
David Tubb has broken many many many many records with ammunition loaded on a 550.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still just a paper weight at this point, Dillon shipped the conversion kit via USPS first class mail so no telling when it might get here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts