Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I air conditioned my garage tonight by installing a 5" ID x 2" thick latching garage door exhaust port in my insulated garage door and then running the exhaust vent for our old portable air conditioner out the port. The whole house including the garage is insulated with sprayed in foam so even that little 8000 BTU air conditioner is keeping my 24' x 26' garage nice and cool. What remains to be seen is if I'm going to need to upgrade to a larger BTU unit come July and August here in the land of sweat, swat and swear... LOL.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thanks. I'm over here in NW Florida and have been thinking about a through-the-wall unit for years. Mine is not insulated and the door faces the rising sun so I've got other issues, but I like your idea for sure.

Reactions: gunrunner

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
D'oh! I dunno why I never thought about the garage door!
Awesome great idea. I screwed up last year and missed the garage door insulating panels on sale at Costco.
I'm watching for them this year.

BTW - stealing that line as it is sure true here with the rain breeding skeeters:
the land of sweat, swat and swear...

·
Registered
910 Posts
i installed a window unit in the upper half of the solid core side door(cut a hole) its only a 5000, but it blows on my spot. may have to upgrade later, it only drops it about 12 degrees (can stand it in july with a fan)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Parrallel: Nice job on the A/C and hope it works for you, the insulated panels will pay off big time, I love it , sweat ,swat, and swear,
I live in Louisiana also so I no what you mean, those months are coming up fast. I came from Az. to here and when we built I had a
a/c and heater installed in the garage, the heater paid of big time this winter and a/c has done a great job every summer. Hope you
get the enjoyment out of it that I do. I'm building a reload bench there now and should finish this weekend.

Team 45-70 #1214
cajunjohn

"This is America," "Everyone's got a bone to pick."

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Parallel,
What a great idea! Sounds like a great place to do guy stuff, have a cigar in comfort, etc.! :congrats:

John

Reactions: Parallel

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I was just thinking about doing this. I spied the unused portable Toyotomi A/C unit at Mom's house last week. My garage is three wide but just having some cool air blowing through would be nice.

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I find it funny that 99.9% of us can't park a car in the garage for love nor money.

Reactions: Parallel
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.