Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all looking at getting a aimpoint for my new 45/70 has anyone done this what does everyone think? For those of you (if any) that have done it what is the process for mounting etc do I need to buy anything extra? I live in Australia so specific part number etc would be great.

Or does anyone suggest something completely different?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am I in the right section of the forum?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Close enough to the right section.

I'm hesitant to give advice, as I am not sure what you have available to you in Australia. So I will answer the question as if you were here (sorry if any of this information is not usable due to location).
I walked around the SHOT show this year with most of my 17 current projects in mind. One of them is a 16" barreled Marlin 336. I have put an XS rail on the gun and was looking at the various optic booths to see which would find a home on this rifle. For accuracy testing, I will run either a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 or a Leupold 2.5 IER scout scope. When the gun goes hunting with me, it will more than likely run the scout scope. But I also like the concept of the rifle for home defense. I looked at several optics for this purpose. I looked at the Trijicon RMR, Leupold DeltaPoint, Burris Fastfire, and the Aimpoint H1. All of them had their good points and bad points. I really like the concept of the triangle reticle on the RMR and the DeltaPoint, but both looked fuzzy when I looked through them. The dot reticles all seemed much clearer. The RMR, DP, and FF all are much lower profile than the H1. But I have used the H1 on AR's and really liked the toughness of it. The cost here in the US is also a factor. I don't know how the prices run in Australia, but from cheapest to most expensive, they run FastFire, DeltaPoint, RMR, and then the H1. I will probably end up with the RMR or the H1. I have had good luck with Trijicon and Aimpoint products in the past. They also have decent support for quick release mounts.

Hope that helps some. I know others here already have some of these sights mounted on their rifles and have run them in the field. Hopefully they can chime in and give you better information...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome great way to kick it off, more comments would be great. don't worry about where to buy its small world these days and just about anything can be brought on the net. price wise we are about the same shopping off the net (or better as our dollar is ok at the moment).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there Shadow. I think my first suggestion would be; much like MountainBear said; run either the XS rail or scout mount and then attach your optic there.

XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts

As for the H1/T1, I have a couple of Aimpoints including a T1 and love them. I still debating what optic I'm going to run on my 336 but if I decide to go with red dot/no magnification it will be another T1 (or possibly a RMR). I'm sure the H1 would be more than sufficient unless one is planning on deploying from a submarine with your rifle :) That being said the price difference is so small between the H1 and the T1 that I chose to go with the T1.

My guess is either the factory mount that comes with the T1 or something like the Larue short mount (LT661?) would be the correct height for the lever's cheek weld but I don't think I would go any higher than that. Also beware that at a lot of places if you order a T1/mount combo deal they don't include the factory mount. Obviously with the factory mount you'll need a hex key to take the sight off an on. While it adds some weight and cost I just think the QD mount is a definite plus

Product singleview
Aimpoint Micro H-1 2MOA/M4 Mount Combo | LaRue Tactical
LaRue Tactical Aimpoint Micro Mount LT660, LT660HK or LT661 | LaRue Tactical

Their pictures are good pretty good for showing the mount heights.

I have seen one other picture of someone who mounted a T1 without the use of a full rail and I believe they said they used this but I'm not 100%???
Maxima Steel 2 piece Bases

Good luck on your search. Also there are lots of photos on this site of outstanding rifles but thought I'd post a picture of my rifle with XS rail just in case you have't seen one so you can get an idea how it looks. Aw heck, who am I kidding. I just got this back from the gunsmith and I'm so excited about it I just can't help but show it off :biggrin: When I get home I can try and take a picture with a T1 on it. Only problem is it will be way too tall as it's in a mount meant for lower 1/3 co-witness on an AR.

ETA: Obviously the rail also gives you an easy way to mount a light if you are so inclined. I have a couple of the Vltor off-set scout mounts and they are top notch.
http://www.vltor.com/scount-mount-ocg.htm

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking setup, thats a XS sight right? looking at getting that as well. cheers I will look at itall when I have the gun on the bench, I will be waiting till next pay as I spent all my spare cash on reloading gear this month. thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am assuming thats a 336BL , how did you get the winged sight for that? on their sight they dont list it for the 336BL?

Also I cant get an email back from them about shipping any ideas? I like the look of the winged sight with the white front sight, I would think they would bolt right on my 336BL?

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you wanted to go cheaper you could also use a Weaver one peice base(Leupold also make one),and a Bushnell TRS red dot sight.The Bushnell is a 3 MOA dot and has decent reviews.It cost around $90.00.It is not an Aimpiont by any means but your not paying an Aimpiont price.It depends on what you want to spend and what you expect it to do.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have taken the cheaper weaver base/trs-25 option for my 336. Base is a one piece 63B (48069). Paid $160 for the trs-25 and the base should set you back about $20. I did quite a bit of research before going for the trs-25 – good reviews on the internet, small 3 moa dot, reasonable priced. Have seen the trs-25 advertised as low as $145 in Australia. This set up works well for me.

Reactions: xxShaDoWxx

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am assuming thats a 336BL , how did you get the winged sight for that? on their sight they dont list it for the 336BL?

Also I cant get an email back from them about shipping any ideas? I like the look of the winged sight with the white front sight, I would think they would bolt right on my 336BL?
Correct it is a 336BL and they are XS sights. As to how about attaching the wings, I'm afraid I won't be much help. All the work including sight/rail installation, action work, cerakote, etc. was performed by Superior Firearms LLC.

Superior Firearms

I believe slight modifications have to be made to both the sight and the rear of the rail to make it work. I see where xs has an option to order the wings on the 1895 sight. If these are the same as the 336 sights or if there is a way to order the 336 with the wings I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be more help on the how.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Correct it is a 336BL and they are XS sights. As to how about attaching the wings, I'm afraid I won't be much help. All the work including sight/rail installation, action work, cerakote, etc. was performed by Superior Firearms LLC.

Superior Firearms

I believe slight modifications have to be made to both the sight and the rear of the rail to make it work. I see where xs has an option to order the wings on the 1895 sight. If these are the same as the 336 sights or if there is a way to order the 336 with the wings I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be more help on the how.
Joe's work is astounding. he has one of mine right now and is about to get a second one back to finish.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe's work is astounding. he has one of mine right now and is about to get a second one back to finish.
Unfortunatly thats not much help to me living in Australia, but i did spend a while looking at all the cool levers on his sight some very nice guns there for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts