Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have discussed basic sights and peep sights and the problem of OLD EYES in several threads. In my case I can see long distance targets perfectly but can not focus on the front sight tip to get consistent center target hits. Well today I found a perfect solution for myself at a local gun shop and maybe some of you can use the same - it is called a TUFFORCE 1x30 RED/GREEN DOT Sight. There is no magnification so when you look out with two open eyes everything is on the same focal plane. I like this one better than a lot of the red dot sights for several reasons - It is flatter and more compact, has RED or GREEN dot selection in 5 magnifications each and it is a very easy and clear to see the T Dot. The picture below shows the sight mounted on my 1894CSS .357 with a sample of the red dot on the left. It is a 30mm aluminum tube and comes with the rings for under $50. They also make one that includes the flip open caps. I personally do not use those since I only target shoot and don't have to worry about the outdoors stuff that you hunters do.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I went though a pile of them breaking form recoil, or the batteries not making contact.
Settled on a Vortex, which handles the rat tat tat of the SKS ok, so far

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Looks as good as any scope does on a levergun and these days my eyes require some type of aid over regular open sights. Most of my leverguns wear scopes or Skinner peep sights. I have had a red-dot on an MI-Carbine for many years and it has held up well. The recoil of the 357 will be somewhat greater the the little .30 carbine round. Give us updates as to how you like it after you have some time and rounds behind it. Would you tell us where you purchased it and where it is manufactured?

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought it at local gun shop in Apex, NC. They had a half dozen various red/green sights but I liked this one the best because of the lower profile. They also make them in 20mm or 1 inch rings and there is a model that comes with an off to the side mount.

We will see how it holds up to the rigors of shooting but the gun shop said they have sold many for AR .223 and .308 guns. I have seen them advertised all over the WEB so just search on TUFFORCE 1x30 RED/GREEN sight.

This is just one place that sells them - have never done any business with them but just an example of the one that has the flip caps on it.

http://www.alphaward.com/scopes-sig...-r-g-reticle-sight-w-flip-up-lens-covers.html

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'll be 55 this summer and my eyes sure aint what they used to be. I've found that I do about as well with a tang or peep sight as anything.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
If we're talking farsightedness, what usually happens to older people, I would like to interject this: I am sixty (UH!) I wear progressive lenses correcting for astigmatism (irregular eyeball shape) plus the farsighted condition, hence the progressive lense. I have found thsat shooting with open sights, I look over my glasses and this helps me to get a better focus on things for some reason.. I did try a Skinner on the receiver, but I didn't really care for it that much. I have recently purchased a Marbles tang sight that I will try next. In spite of this vision issue I can, using a sand bag get a 6" group at 100 yds generally, once I'm dialed in with my ammo, as I have been using different weight bullets. I have not yet used any kind of scope on a lever action yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts