Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got the gun back from the smith. Scope all mounted nice with good rings and boresighted.

However, I've got a big BUT.

Pull the trigger and the firing pin isn't even making a trace on the primer. Tried three different cartridges and none of them show a mark much less a dent.

I know, I know, the cross bolt safety. Nope. I double checked and triple checked it. Safety was OFF and set to fire. The hammer went all the way forward and struck in the little button at the rear end of the bolt.

Curses! It fired just fine last time I shot it about four or five years ago. I did take the bolt out once in that time just to clean it.

Anybody have any ideas on a quick and easy repair before I take it to the gunsmith?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A chip somehow got in the firing pin way? Pull the bolt & check firing pin travel. Something may have lodged in there. SW

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just disassembled the bolt and find the front firing pin is broken.

Put me down in the catagory of people who have damaged their rifle by dry firing. :oops:

Soooooo. Anybody know anywhere to get Marlin parts cheap and quick?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I was wondering about practicing trigger pull but leaving the safety in the on position. This will get the almighty "clack" but will it do any damage?

Since the hammer won't hit the firing pin it shouldn't do any damage to it.

Will hitting the safety cause any damage to anything else?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I'm not sure about this whole dry firing thing. With a rimfire I can see how the firing pin can get broke, but a centerfire? In the military we did a lot of dry firing. Have never seen a broken firing pin.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I don't dry fire anymore. About 5 yrs. ago I cleaned my old Noble 40A 16ga. When I got done cleaning I dry fired it and heard something hit the basement wall . It was the tip of my firing pin. It went about 15 ft. HYDE

G

·
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:53 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering about practicing trigger pull but leaving the safety in the on position. This will get the almighty "clack" but will it do any damage?

Since the hammer won't hit the firing pin it shouldn't do any damage to it.

Will hitting the safety cause any damage to anything else?
I am almost completely fairly pretty certain that I read in a Marlin owner's manual NOT to dry fire against the CBS.

Maybe a broken firing pin is a sign of a weak part and this is the best possible way to find out you need to replace it?

Grizz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts