Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on GB, again, (feeding my marlinitis) when I came across a nice looking Marlin 308mx, get this, for $475!!!
That was the buy it now price. I went to check balances, $$. Needless to say, it was sold by the time I got back to it.
lol dont think it was up for 2 hrs. Feel like thats the way things have been going for me lately, day late dollar short.
Oh well, not properly prepared

·
Administrator
30,788 Posts
That was a great price for a 308MX. Makes me question whether it had the dreaded barrel droop. Do you know what it's DOM was? Or it's first two digits of the serial number?

Sorry you missed the opportunity. I know the feeling as it took me nearly two years before I finally scored my 308MX. Funny, that fateful morning I saw a 338MX, both rifles produced in their debut years, just below the 308MX. I couldn't pull the trigger too fast and got them both!

Keep your search going as you just never know when you'll score.

Jack

·
Administrator
30,788 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,125 Posts
Keep looking and don't fret about what happened. You will find your 308MX.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wow, that was a great deal. I always tell myself that it just wasn't meant for me and mine will come.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Yes it was a 2007, looked nice. Was actually looking at 1894’s, in 357 when I just peeked over there. Was actually hoping someone here got it, not some dealer just flippin it. Someone telling me me, nope, keep looking. Lol darn, just found another tick on my leg. Gonna go remove it.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Wow great price. Got mine in a trade. I let my beloved Custom Ruger Bisley Vaquero .45 colt go for a measly 308 MX, 1895 CB and a .444.
I now have a used Ruger Bisley Vaquero 5.5" .45 colt in shipping now and it is case colored. This time I'll do my own action job on it. All for the paltry sum of $601 bucks on GB. New grips maybe.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I would say that a 308MX would be going for $750. 338MX, $100 more.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That was a great price for a 308MX. Makes me question whether it had the dreaded barrel droop. Do you know what it's DOM was? Or it's first two digits of the serial number?

Sorry you missed the opportunity. I know the feeling as it took me nearly two years before I finally scored my 308MX. Funny, that fateful morning I saw a 338MX, both rifles produced in their debut years, just below the 308MX. I couldn't pull the trigger too fast and got them both!

Keep your search going as you just never know when you'll score.

Jack
What years had the barrel droop? Is there a post about that on here?

·
Administrator
30,788 Posts
What years had the barrel droop? Is there a post about that on here?
The dreaded barrel droop occurred in a 2009 production run but only a small percentage of rifles were affected. So, you can know that any serial numbers first two digits that start with 91 is a 2009 and is suspect. All 2007 and 2008, first two digits being 93 and 92 are fine.

Check the link below to check any 2009's for BD.

Quick and easy way to check for barrel droop...

Jack

Reactions: Tar_Heel 336

·
Administrator
30,788 Posts
I just snagged one for 700 shipped. 2007 in about 99% condition. It is currently winging it’s way to Oregon for a barrel chop and crown. 20” for this one.

Congrats, Jim. Are you going to start a thread on your build?

Jack

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.