Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you all have your memories of your first.
Well next week Thursday will be my youngest son's birthday, which until recently he has not shown any interest in guns. Now that he has expressed an interest my wife and I have purchased him a brand new Marlin Model 60. Just the plain one in blue, but I can hardly wait to give it to him. I remember my first one, it was a Marlin 20ga bolt action shotgun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. No doubt he will love it and of course love the father and mother that gave it to him. Happy B-day to your son. Just get him a brick of ammo too so you can go out to the range and plink away! What a great father son experience. :D

G

·
Thanks, we left off buying a scope to allow him the pleasure of 'upgrading' for himself and making his own choices. I'm hoping he will take to it well enough to take him deer hunting this fall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anonymous said:
Thanks, we left off buying a scope to allow him the pleasure of 'upgrading' for himself and making his own choices. I'm hoping he will take to it well enough to take him deer hunting this fall.
Ya know... I should learn to log in first. :roll:

G

·
I well remember my first gun. A well used savage 410 sgl shot with a steel butt plate. I got it when I was in the first grade. I hunted with my Dad for a year playing barney fife with my shells in my pocket. If the dogs were bringing a rabbit around, or a squirrel was close I was allowed to load up and fire if presented with a target. If I didn't get a shot I unloaded and went on. In that year I learned proper, safe gun handling, how to unload and cross fences, etc. By the 6th grade I was loading shells for the 410. I bought a LEE handloader, it didn't size the brass. I've cut many a sapling to run down the bbl to dislodge an empty. I still use that loader. When it was made the shells were made out of paper. When the new plastic shells came out they were shorter and had a star crimp, instead of the old rolled crimp. My dad made a piece to shove the new plastics up farther so they could be crimped. Oh well, I'll shut up now. POWDERMAN. :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
:D Mechanic---I can't wait to hear about your sons reaction--I'm excited for you all.

My first gun was a single-shot Springfield .410--It was a Friday afternoon, I had just finished my Hunter's Saftey Classes & received my certificate, the Wednesday night prior to it. Dad came home from work-- I had wanted to go to my cousins over the weekend and was disappointed Dad had said, "No--your going with me to Marlette to MontgomeryWards, to pick up my package.", so we went--MontgomeryWards had a gun rack at the time and I liked looking at the guns and imagining the first one I'd buy of my own after saving up enough allowance money to do so.

Dad went to the counter for his package and I daydreamed at the gunrack--disappointed because the one I commented on liking was missing. Then Dad called me up to the counter--and said, "Whats the matter Mar?" I said, "That shotgun I liked and showed you a few months ago is gone. Dad asked, "Which one? Where?" I turned to point toward the rack and upon turning back around to face Dad he asked, "You mean this one?" Holding the very gun--I was sure was gone forever.

Dad handing it to me said, "I'm proud of you Martha Jane--now take care of it-&-respect it." I was stunned--choked back tears and said, "Thank You Daddy", as I reached for my shotgun. He gave me a choice right there too, of whether I wanted a brand new case for it or if I wanted one of his--Naturally I wanted one of Dads :D

I still have that awesome Old shotgun--Old Trusty--I reblued the barrel and refinished the stock and forearm myself a few years ago--I get it out just to look at it- and I never shoot anyof my other guns without shooting that one too--Just seems wrong some how if I don't. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Proud and happy Dad!!!

:D
Gave my son his first Marlin last night. He sat and got aquainted with it. Today he went to church with his brothers and stopped at WM and got one of the Bushnell 3-9 x 40 scopes. I had some rings left over so I mounted the scope for him. Went to a shooting area with my 1895. I sighted in his scope, took 1 1/2 turns to dial in the elevation and none on the windage. Let him shoot it. Man am I pleased, first shot at 25 yrds was dead on for elevation and 3 inches left of center. Leaning against my Aerostar which was moving due to the 20-30 mph wind. I let him shot some more and then asked if he wanted to try my Marlin 45-70. He did and handled it very well. Then he shot some more till it was time for him to go to work. Later tonight he had me get it out so he could touch it and look at it some more. He's already planning on shooting this weekend and looking to buy one of those steel flip targets.

Man am I proud!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just saw this and I am happy for you both.

Good shooting to you

Bojon

·
Registered
37 Posts
My son's first gun was a Marlin 30-30

Hope you son gets hooked as mine did.

Bojon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts