Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a certain squinty eyed sombrero wearing enabler, with help from bathrobe exhibitionists and sagebrush pickers, I find myself reloading .45-70. I've reloaded a few other things. Managed to get a set of RCBS cowboy dies and a Lee FC die. Just ran some Starline brass thru the resizer die, am about to check length, then to the expanding die we go. Will I need to lube the top inside edge of the case before using the expanding die ?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey Steve,

When loading the 45/70, I use the Dillon Spray Lube (you can make this yourself, lanolin and alcohol), or H'Day One Shot.

Never felt the need to do any "extra" lubing, for expanding the case mouths.

Later, Mark

Reactions: utahtrapper

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Just like with straight-walled pistol cartrides, I never found the need to lube when expanding case mouths...and I don't like getting any type of "liquid" lube inside the cases. I doubt you will, but if you feel the need you may dip the mouth of every third case or so in motor mica.

Frankford Arsenal Fine Powdered Mica

Roe

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, gents, just finished length sizing the brass, next step is the expander die. I better go do some real world work now that the sun is out. My "to do" list on the boat is pretty impressive, lots of little stuff, all time consuming and I seem to be slower every year. Something about that climbing in the rigging routine just doesn't appeal to me any more.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Just wait till you have to start filling up those .45 cal coffee cans with powder... it'll make short work of a pound of powder. But there are fewer things that give such a sense of satisfaction as cranking the lever and having that big, empty piece of brass come zinging out the ejection port. I miss my Browning 1886... if not necessarily the dents in my forehead from the brass. :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Just wait till you have to start filling up those .45 cal coffee cans with powder... it'll make short work of a pound of powder. But there are fewer things that give such a sense of satisfaction as cranking the lever and having that big, empty piece of brass come zinging out the ejection port. I miss my Browning 1886... if not necessarily the dents in my forehead from the brass. :vollkommenauf:

Yup,.......it's bad enough with 44 Mag and 45 LC......Makes me wish some one with make a levergun chambered in 32 S & W long. A pound of powder would last a lifetime....:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rifle is fun to shoot, can't say why, sorta like hand held artillery, I guess. It is one sweet Ka-CHunk when the lever is worked, real music to my ears. I'll have to see if it's more expensive to shoot than the 7 mag, that thing will vacuum some powder. As to a cheap to shoot lever, the Bee is ok, altho the brass is crazy high for the cute lil' things. It's fun to shoot that and the .45-70 at the same target, you can save a few pennies like that. You just have to shoot the little guy first, a baby bullet could go into one of those big holes and never be noticed.

This rifle does like the factory Win 300 JHPs. I'm starting with Laser Cast 350s and 2400.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I loaded the 300grn Sierra JHPs and the Remington 405grn JSPs... under H322, Rl7, H4895 and IMR4895. ...but that was a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Slippery slope? Sounds like you've been listening to your other Chief Enabler, The Exalted Insidious One.

The 218 Bee cases are just so darned cute it's hard not to love them, but once you start toying with those cannon shells, your perspectives change. The moon appears closer and an easy Par Three with a 7-iron, and you start referring to the Grand Canyon as "That little ole crick out west".

As much as you've shot the 7RM and the 25-06, pulling the go switch on an 1895 will be a nice relief. I sometimes shoot Trail Boss loads out of mine, just so I can hear it go "bloop!" when everything else around me is going "BLAMMO!"

There may be slipperier slopes in gundom, but few as entertaining.

Reactions: Charlie98
1 - 9 of 9 Posts