Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Aguila Ammo

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Condition 1 
#1 ·
Just wondering if any of you all use this ammo. My wife picked up a brick of Aguila super extra 38 grain hollow point. Just wondering how it will cycle through my marlin 60 and 39a.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it the quiet stuff? or regular Aquila?
Quiet will work in the 39 because you cycle it but I doubt it would cycle a 60 action because the lack of power.
Almost all regular and HV 22 will cycle semi-auto actions.

#4 ·
Good stuff. Smells funny, but accurate and reliable.

#8 ·
Your friend must have got hold of some of that Colibri that so many stores were selling to unsuspecting customers. It is primer only powered for "gallery" and close up pest control work in pistols. OP has HV that I've used without any problems in my Model 60s.

Most standard and target velocity does not cycle at all or is hit and miss in all my semi autos, long and short. I'm sure they could be modified to work, but that would require a reversal of spring weight to work with high velocity ammo. The 39As and bolt guns handle it just fine. I try to remember to feed mine accordingly. I do like the lower velocity for target work.
The SV works fine in my Model 60s. All I've done to them is polish the bolt and receiver and keep them clean. The point is moot, though, because the OP has HV.

#7 ·
Most standard and target velocity does not cycle at all or is hit and miss in all my semi autos, long and short. I'm sure they could be modified to work, but that would require a reversal of spring weight to work with high velocity ammo. The 39As and bolt guns handle it just fine. I try to remember to feed mine accordingly. I do like the lower velocity for target work.

#9 ·
I bought several boxes a few years ago and still have most of them. I experienced misfires and no fires with them. I had some that went off with primer strikes on other parts of the rim. I had some that went "pop" and flew several feet below line of sight at nominal ranges.

I will never buy it again.

M

#17 ·
I bought several boxes a few years ago and still have most of them. I experienced misfires and no fires with them. I had some that went off with primer strikes on other parts of the rim. I had some that went "pop" and flew several feet below line of sight at nominal ranges.

I will never buy it again.

M
I have a box of Remington 525 count "Golden Bullet Value Pack" .22 LR brass-plated HP. that do almost the same thing. No misfires but some pop and some wiz.
Some hit inches lower than others. I think .22 ammo is cranked out at such a high volume that there are some QA issues.
I have some Aquila sub-sonic that I put thru my 39a's no prob but will try it in semi autos.
Steve

#10 ·
Misfires might be a problem with them but too low power to cycle is not. Use a box and see. I'm sure someone else will take the remainder at cost if you don't like them.

I like the Colibris in my RSS5X.

#11 ·
Aguila is one of my favorite brands of ammo. It's usually loaded hot in pistol rounds.
I have a few thousand rounds of Colibri and Super Colibri and they are powderless
ammo and used to be called CB's.
They are fun to plink with and very quiet as in no hearing protection needed.
I cannot hear them if I have my ears on. I can only hear the hammer fall on
the gun.

That yellow box is the real hot stuff. It'll cycle anything.

Aguila is made at the former Remington plant in Mexico on their equipment.
It's been good stuff to me but their regular 9mm should be considered +p
It's really hot.

I'd buy as much of the yellow box stuff as I could afford but it's pretty expensive per brick.

#12 · (Edited)
According to "A Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition" by Steven Boelter, Aguila use Eley priming technology (which they pay for), and Eley manufacturing equipment, installed by Eley (or Eley contractors). Many of their ammunition boxes have the Eley name on them. That's why it smells like superglue after you fire it.
The yellow box like the OP has is high velocity, around 1280 fps. The really hot stuff is the yellow/orange sunburst, red, and silver box Interceptors. 40 grains @ 1470 fps.

The silver and yellow box (HP) or silver and red (RN) is even faster, 1750 fps but at only 30 grains, it has just a slight edge in muzzle energy and doesn't pack as much wallop at distance.

Reactions: tedward
#15 ·
I have about 10K rounds that I purchased earlier in the shortage. I started with the blue box Standard velocity and subsonic, which shot like some grades of target ammo in my Savage BV, and my 77/22VBZ, I have no problems with jamming in our 10-22's or handguns. Then I bought some more. Next I tried the HV ammo in RN and HP. Grabbed a bunch more of that. The Target and Match shoots like Eley or RWS Target, and cycles without fail in our 10/22's, and my picky P22. I also sucked up a supply of Interceptor RN and HP, and Super Maximum. The last two are very good, but only in my VBZ, and Revolvers.

Feeling dumb, I wish I had tried it sooner. The price is going up these days, but I will grab a case of SV and Match when it appears again, and refill my Interceptor supply as it is a fox dropper supreme.

#20 ·
I am not aware of any Aguila with a 36gr HP, but they do make 30/38/40gr HP stuff. The Super Maximum 30gr and the Interceptor 40gr do run about $60/brick, and the extra performance is for foxes, raccoons, and groundhogs at extended range, or even coyotes where rimfires are required. (Or for making squirrel/rabbit burger). I sight in the rifle, and use it all season. I don't shoot it in rifles that don't shoot it well. It's not for use in semi-autos.

If she came home with the 38gr Super Extra, every bit as good as the Remington/Federal/Winchester 38gr HP, I hope you acted grateful. It's hard to get mad at a girl willing to spend $60 so a guy has ammo.

#19 ·
i've tried two kinds, the super-quiet and the sss--some call it "super silent sniper". the quietest stuff shoots a tiny 20gr pellet, which is the most accurate round for my shot-out 1906 winnie pump gun that i've found. here in town we're not supposed to be shooting outdoors, so it's mostly for targets in the garage, but it's so quiet i used it on a possum in the back yard; it did the job. i think it's only moving about 550 ft/sec, and very quiet. the sss stuff is what i use for self defense in my 9-shot h&r revolver--with 3 regular loud ones at the end, if i need to summon help to pack out the bodies. it has a 60gr slug (that's 1-1/2 times as hefty as a 22lr) that's traveling just under the speed of sound, so no "crack", and it hits like a much larger caliber. terrific sectional density; it penetrates much further than lr's. it shoots better in some rifles than others; ok in my marlin, better in my remington, and not well at all in the winnie. has to do with the rifling. dumps a grouse or a rabbit with a solid thump; drt. i've never had a misfire or an errant round. probably shot 200 rounds of each. the sss is very quiet by itself, but with a toy balloon or a baby-bottle nipple over the muzzle, neither of which affect the accuracy at close range, it's scary quiet. never tried either in an auto--don't own one.
mind yer topknots!
windy

#22 ·
It's good stuff, but I could have bought some for that price online and then shipping and
no limit either and I passed. That's just too much dosh for 22LR.
It's normally ~$40 per brick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.