Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I finally found a decent knife at a decent price!

My job requires using a knife...a lot!

A knife has to be handy, tough, safe, and sharp or its useless to me.

About 2 months ago I found a Kershaw (made in the USA) knife that looked kinda funny, but it felt good in my hand...I liked the idea of opening it with my index finger too.

Its the "Needs Work" model...this is a work knife, not a tacticool knife http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=385

It has passed my use test with flying colors...and my test has reduced what some may call "better knives" to shreds in a matter of days.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Ridge that's an interesting choice. The blade is shaped very similarly to the sheepsfoot blade on a stockman's knife. I've sharpened quite a few stock knives for cutting calves and that was the preferred blade of all the old timers that I know in the ranching business. It's very utilitarion in shape and usefullness, I use that blade on my own stock knife more than any other as well. Great choice and it should be very easy to sharpen as well.

Jesse

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Good looking knife. I'll have to hunt one down to have a hands on look. Kershaw and SAK are the only exception I make to an otherwise carbon steel blades only preferance. I like the quick opening of the "leek" I carry, and probably use it most of any other pocket knife. (BTW, I carry both of those knives daily). There's a guy that sells kershaw "seconds" at the portland,OR gun shows. Most seem to be double stamped (etched?) with the kershaw logo. Other than that "imperfection", there's absolutely nothing wrong with the knives. A good bargain.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That does look like a work-horse. Nice find.
I always liked the Barlows with that same blade, but for some reason, never glommed onto one.

FWIW,,, Midway USA has a nice little Kershaw Camp Ax in their sale brochure this month. I looked it up on Kershaw's web-site and saw that it doesn't have the made in USA verb-age that your knife does, so who knows. Still might make someone a nice little camp ax for twenty bucks though, if a person wanted to dig a little deeper and verify where it's made. Just saying.

Be sure to let us know if you still feel the same way about the new Kershaw six months from now.
Charlie

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
I am glad you finally got what you were after. Sometimes there is a small let down after chasing for something you have been after for a while, and then scooping it up. I am that way a bit, I really love it as the Poms say"it's the thrill of the hunt." Some times the chasing is as good as the purchase.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
moofy07 said:
I am glad you finally got what you were after. Sometimes there is a small let down after chasing for something you have been after for a while, and then scooping it up. I am that way a bit, I really love it as the Poms say"it's the thrill of the hunt." Some times the chasing is as good as the purchase.
True...

I've always carried a plain ole pocket knife (Case, Old Timer, etc.)...but the price of a good Case pocket knife has gotten a bit outrageous, the Old Timers ain't what they used to be.

I've always liked the idea of the pocket clip in these "new" knives, but the serrated blades just don't interest me at all. I've looked at quiet a few of the "clip" knives that didn't have serrated blades but none of them tickled my fancy much.

This Kershaw felt solid though...and so far it has been. Cutting conveyor belts, mud flaps, and stuff like that gets hard on them after a while...

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Very cool, Ridge. An old daily carry knife of mine is a Kershaw with that same Ken Onion assisted opening that I still carry sometimes, I really like it a whole lot. Lightweight, easy to open, fast, etc. It's a little on the big side, though. I have a few Daltons now that I carry alternately most of the time, but I might have to track down one of those Needs Work models at some point, looks like it'd be a bit more comfortable to carry every day than my bigger Kershaw. It's funny, the automatic knives ("switchblades") like the Daltons were originally designed as work knives for fishermen...they needed something they could operate one-handed quickly and reliably to cut their nets and such. Then they got a bad reputation because of the play and later movie "West Side Story." ::)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts