Marlin Firearms Forum banner

After 8 months my 39a has problems.

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  336SS 
lesismore said:
Well, I had hoped I got a good one that would not fail to fire, fail to extract, or fail to eject. As I say in the topic line it is now 8 months since I bought it and aprox. 450 rounds down the tube. It has been kept clean and wiped down after shooting and I just did a thorough cleaning and oiling, cleaned the brass build up off the bolt face and the action. It is a 2009 sn. 913xxxxx North Haven, with a JM stamp on the left side of barrel. It was new,near perfect and a beautiful gun when I bought it last Aug. 2010. I was real happy, it worked real good at first, only a few fail to fire but always ejected the empties.

Today right off it had a FTF and the case rim had a fair dent but not real deep, then it failed to extract and I had to pry the unfired case out of the chamber, then it wouldn't fling the case out of the action. After several rounds and seeming to get worse I took it down and checked it over for anything causing it. Everything looks good and no build up on the bolt face or action. The bent wire extractor looks to only engage the rim at a corner and slips past. It doses cycle unfired rounds alright and I tried different brands. But I had been shooting the Winchesters before and all the other ammo brands without any problems.

Not only is it having these problems, I have put a couple of fair scratches across the receiver and bolt trying to remove stuck rounds. :mad: I am sick from making a mess of my new 39a and wondering if to send it in to Marlin or take it to a gunsmith close by. :-\ I tried to touch up the bluing with Brownells dicropan T4 cold blue but it looks worse now than before. :'( Man this is really depressing and disappointing and embarrassing. :-[ Now I just want to cry. :'(
Les,
Sorry to hear of your problems. I'd suggest you send it back. It Is under warranty...........If you go to a local 'smith, you'll be dealing with unknown technical experience with regard to 39's and probably paying to boot.........Re the experience, I know Remington doesn't have much of that either, with 39's but at least they can't charge you, or say someone else messed it up, and reneg on the warranty.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.