Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

As some know I live in South Africa ;D I waited almost 18 months for my license for my 30-30 but now I have it.

Took the gun to the range and did some reloading and playing around with loads. After a month or 2 we(the gun, my oldest and I) were ready for some hunting.

Here is some pick's of the hunt.

This is my older son with his first kill.

My youngest with his kill. He used a .303 Brit.

Will post some more on the Marlin when Photobucket stops giving me problems :( :(

Peet in SA

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Very nice! I would love to hunt Africa with my Marlins - just too far away and too much money (today)...

Great pictures with family. Good days spent in the field! Congrats...

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to more Marlin pictures and more game taken. Could you also describe the animals taken?

bjm

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Nice ..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha got Photobucket going again.

Here is my Blesbuck with the 30-30.

My son again

And this one I just have to show ;D ;D
Graham my hunting buddy shot his first Blueweldebeest (Gnu) with his 50 cal BP gun. What a rush.

Thanks 1895Gunner, a day with the family is worth more than we realize ;)

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
pvdw said:
bigjeepman here is a nice link for the Blesbuck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blesbuck

The Blesbuck is a plains anamal and prefer graslands. Rams skined and opened up will weigh 40-45kg's and ewes 32-40kg's. They live in groups off up to several 100's on big area's.
Thank you for that. That is a fine looking animal. At what distance from the blesbuck was the shot taken with the 30-30?

bjm

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My son shot his at 150 normal walking paces, that would be around 120-130m.

Mine was an easy 60m. shot 8) 8) 8)

I used Sierra 170gr Game King's at 2050ft/s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for sharing!! My life long dream is to make it to Africa for a safari! Maybe someday!!
Enjoy your Marlin!

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Very cool pics. I love it when my kids go with me and harvest game, congratulations on your success. DP

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It sure adds a bit of variety to see critters taken from different places around the world with Marlins. Thanks, pvdw, for the contribution and keep it coming. The look on those youngsters' faces says it all.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Peet,

Thanks for sharing such unusual, for the USA, animals. What does the Blesbuck taste like? I hope its not like chicken. :p

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Very nice pics. 18 mo. wait for A gun? Is it costly/ Is there A limit?
Is that a scilencer on the .303?

I like your hunting truck! Got A better pic?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
neilca ; taste like chicken, no no man it taste like...blesbuck ;D ;D ;D ;D

neilca it is a nice meat to eat but you do need a bit more spice or marinade on the meat to mask the "wild" taste. Very nice for stew and we in SA will make biltong with most game as well. Biltong is spiced and dried meat. We all love it and it is synonymous with SA and hunting. Don't you call it beef jerky or something like that?

Gaterskiner licenses here is not costly but very time consuming :( :( Yes it is a silencer on the .303 What a nice toy. Will never hunt without one again- except with my Marlin- The game has got no idea from where the shot came and they do stay calmer after the shot. The silencer reduce the recoil a lot and there is less barrel jump, so accuracy does improve a lot. Sub MOA is standard with the .303

Gaterskiner I do hope you not joking about the hunting truck :( :( ;D ;) We used an old rusted trailer that was towed behind a 1960's tractor ;D ;D This is Africa man we take it as it come ;) Will see if my hunting partner has got a nice pick of our bush crawler. It does add to the adventure.

Thanks for all the congrats, will keep you posted when I go out again. We have warthog on our list for our next hunt. Will post the picks.

Peet in SA

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
18mos to get a license ??? ???

And yes, I likes the hunt'n truck :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can't wait to see pics of the warthog hunt!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Africa has some of the most beautiful plains game in the world. I loved the pictures. Here in Florida, there are preserves where one can hunt exotics like some African plains game species. That's about as close as I ever could get to African hunting.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts