Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I'm looking to buy a Remington 1858 (probably PIetta) .44 and need advise.
I think I prefer to use 777 or Pyrodex but do not know the loads to use or what weight of ball for 25 target shooting
777 web site says 20 grain other club members use 11.2 grains
Any help chaps would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Grovesie

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
All I use is real black powder in my ML's. In my Remington Pietta I use 20 grains 3f with enough malt-o-meal filler to position the ball just below the cylinder face. The weights of the subs are for VOLUME NOT actual weight. Use any standard measure made for black powder. You will need to use a hotter cap to set off the subs. BTW in spite of what manufacturs and shooters of the Subs claim you still need to clean after using them. They are not less corrosive than the Real deal. Be sure to use a tight fitting cap that does not slide off under recoil or you can get chain fires.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I have a Pietta Bros. 1858 .44 remmie and it's my favorite, though I like them all. I shoot pyrodex select with CCI 'magnum' #11 cap's.Grain weight (by volumetric measure) can vary depending on what I'm doing. I usually shoot RB with mine.

The lower velocities used by your friends usually produce tighter groups for target shooting. If I carry mine as a sidearm when hunting I'll load thirty grains. I do use a lubed felt overpowder wad.

Reactions: Grovesie

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Pietta Bros. 1858 .44 remmie and it's my favorite, though I like them all. I shoot pyrodex select with CCI 'magnum' #11 cap's.Grain weight (by volumetric measure) can vary depending on what I'm doing. I usually shoot RB with mine.

The lower velocities used by your friends usually produce tighter groups for target shooting. If I carry mine as a sidearm when hunting I'll load thirty grains. I do use a lubed felt overpowder wad.
Cheers. Thanks for that. Mine's going to be stainless with adjustable sights used for target shooting competition. Oh boy another new toy!
There is even a Remington 1858 owners club / society. Might give that a crack.
Thanks again have a good week
Grovesie

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
The 1858 Remington Forum - Index

Grovesie, alot of discussion, comparison, and info here as well. I have four Pietta Brothers revolver's and have a hard time deciding on a favorite, they're just alot of fun. Three of four are .36's but I'm planning on one of the 5.5" barreled remmie's as my next one. Might even get a Colt's 1860 repro and make me a 'snubbie' out of it, I just never know, the dream list is larger than the bank account LOL.

In the UK, are you required to store your BP arms at a range, or can you have those at your residence? Are there restrictions on the storage of black powder (or substitute's)?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 1858 Remington Forum - Index

Grovesie, alot of discussion, comparison, and info here as well. I have four Pietta Brothers revolver's and have a hard time deciding on a favorite, they're just alot of fun. Three of four are .36's but I'm planning on one of the 5.5" barreled remmie's as my next one. Might even get a Colt's 1860 repro and make me a 'snubbie' out of it, I just never know, the dream list is larger than the bank account LOL.

In the UK, are you required to store your BP arms at a range, or can you have those at your residence? Are there restrictions on the storage of black powder (or substitute's)?
Hi
Amazingly when handguns were banned in 1997 they (polititians) left muzzle loaders alone and none were banned. Logic? There aint none.
We still have to have them Firearms Certificates but no restirction in barrel lenghth and we keep them at home in accordance with security requirements. Black powder because it is explosive requires an 'Explosives licence' and has to be kept in a special wooden container mormally in the garage (with all that petrol and paint cans.) Logic again.That is why quite a lot of shooters use Pyrodex and 777 because they are not restricted.There are the purist who have to have BP.

Sales of muzzle loaders increased quite a lot when handguns were banned. A popular one was the Ruger Old Army. Don't think I'll be buying Colt 1860 and using the hacksaw

Best
Grovesie

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Politico's and logic are seldom used in the same sentance unless absence is also used. Though I have better choices for self defense, I would not hesitate nor even feel all that undergunned if a .44 remington was all I had. With a stout load, close to the equal of a .45 acp.The .36's, loaded with conical can be closely loaded to the same as a .38S&W, (.38/200) that many Webley's and Enfield's were chambered for.

Many places here have discontinued carrying black powder because of local ordinances as well. Interesting to hear of the laws in the UK, thanks!

I have had good experience's with Pietta revolver's.They have prooved themselve's sturdy (within design), and finished well, though the wood can be a bit proud at times, I really have no complaints. All have been pretty good shooter's.

Reactions: Grovesie

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Black powder because it is explosive requires an 'Explosives licence' and has to be kept in a special wooden container mormally in the garage (with all that petrol and paint cans.) Logic again.
Logic and laws are mutually exclusive.
I would rather have 100 pounds of black powder in my garage than 5 gallons of gas and an LP grill tank. The old steel cans were designed to melt at the seams before the powder ignited. I would guess the same would happen with the new plastic bottles.
Good luck with that Remington. Being it is stainless just remove the grips and run it through the dishwasher to clean:biggrin:

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
When my Brother was with the Seattle fire dept, he said you could always tell the houses that had gun's and or reloading stuff in them, you could hear rounds ''cooking off'' and smell powder burning. He said powder would ''FLASH"" but that's it as long as it was kept in it's origional container.

+1 on the powder over fuel!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have one of the stainless Piettas with the target sights. It is most accurate with 15 grains of 3F Goex Blackpowder and cornmeal filler to let the ball seat just a tick below the face of the cylinder. The problem is getting Blackpowder... I can get it, but not locally to me. I'm not competing, so nth degree accuracy with the thing isn't all that crucial to me. It shoots wll enough for my purposes with a felt wad lubed with T/C WonderLube and a .452" swaged ball over 20 grains of Pyrodex P. Even with that load, I can shoot better scores with it that I can with my 6" Ruger Security Six and often better than my Ruger 22/45 Target pistol. I have a stainless Ruger Old Army and I don't shoot it any better than the Pietta.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.