Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 45# Wonderbow at Ebay. Haven't shot a bow since I was a boy I'm now 62. I had no idea of the range of arrows, points & weights and other accesories available. Know I need a glove, arm guard & bow stringer. I'll just be target shooting for now, not even sure my old carpenters sholders & elbows can still draw a bow. Didn't want to go the compound route, like trying to be a boy again. Any advice re/equipment accesories would be much apreciated.
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
603 Posts
a bow square, for setting knock height. as for arrows, aluminums are cheap but they bend. carbons are a little more expensive but they last forever. with a 45# DW I wouldnt go higher than 500 spine. www.3riversarchery.com has a good selection of field points, just starting out i would get their sample pack of different weights. If you're shooting off the shelf then save yourself a lot of hassle and go with feather fletching rather than plastic.

check out the traditional archery section, right below this one for more reading material.

Good luck hope you enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
4,798 Posts
Got to an archery shop and ask them to give you assistance with picking out what you need. Tell them your new to archery and are unsure you can even draw back the bow. The shop pro should check over the bow for defects and string it for you and see if you can draw it. They should not have any problems helping you, especially if you are looking at spending your hard earned cash at their shop.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
www.3riversarchery.com is an outstanding archery store. Their customer service is superb, even from thousands of miles away.
Give them a call and I'm sure they will solve all your problems. Also browse their site and read the Q&A for different products, you'll learn a lot.
My recommendations:

Traditional Only fletched carbon arrows. If your draw length is somewhere between 26" and 28" and use 125 grain steel points, you'll be fine with 500 spine shafts. For few more $ they send them cut to size (depending on your actual draw length) and point inserts installed, all you have to do is screw in the points.
Screw-in steel points 125 grain would be fine for target shooting. I also use rubber washers between the insert and the point to avoid point loosening.
You may need a new string and string nock. Call them for directions since strings need perfect feet to the bow. You can get special tools to do the nock installation (see the videos on 3Rivers site) but I use regular tools from my shop.
You definetely need a bow stringer.
And for target shooting I'd recommend a hip quiver.
You have plenty options for targets there, or you can make your own.

As for strength to draw, don't worry much, with practice you'll get better. I started with a 40# recurve and now shoot a 62#. It is amazing how your body responds to the new challenge. But you have to shoot regularly.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your bow.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
3rivers will answer any question you might have. Call or email them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts