Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member here and new to high power rifles in general. I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm pretty detail oriented and anal about guns. Here's my situation:

I bought a Marlin XS7 in .308 from my local gun shop. When I got home I noticed the stock felt a bit short (compared to my shotgun). Honestly, I liked the shorter stock, felt more mobile and the center of gravity closer to my shoulder. Turns out, they sold me the youth version... I'm tempted to return it solely on principle, but I'm torn because I actually like the shorter pull length. The youth is 12 3/8, my personal measured length is 13 3/8 (short sleeves).

So I'm thinking with winter hunting clothing on the fit would be even better... If not I can buy a Boyds stock and hold onto this stock as a "lightweight/mobile/wife/youth friendly" version.

Is this sound logic? Agree disagree? Your input is appreciated.

Also, I bought Burris zee rings, medium height to mount my Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40 BDC scope. The bolt handle barely grazes the scope when cycled. The bolt handle has a recess on it, I'm thinking low rings would allow the scope to rest perfectly in the recess during cycling. Any one else have this issue?

·
Registered
664 Posts
My belief is that whatever you feel most comfortable with, you will shoot best with, to a point. If you DO exchange it now, while you can, you can always cut down the other version, while adding length to the one you have is certainly possible, a recoil pad sure looks funny on a rifle IMHO.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
231 Posts
You can always purchase an adult synthetic stock from Marlin for minimal cost, you can also post in the for sale or trade section on this site.

Something you said kind of puzzles me you said the bolt handle just grazes your scope, why would you want lower rings? If I was in your position I would opt for high rings to avoid any contact with the scope, JMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winterlands, that's what I was thinking. Any idea what an adult stock would run me?

What I meant about the bolt handle was that the handle has a radius in it for the scope. The medium rings I have are above the recess to where the corner of the radius bumps the scope when cycling. I was wondering if lowering the scope would allow it to rest perfectly in the radius of the recess in the handle. Not a big deal, just something I might have to experiment with.

·
Banned
231 Posts
I believe they are under $50.00, and yes if the handle is grazing the scope now then the higher rings would be the way to go. My experience is that the X bolts have quite a bit of play, and if you cycle the bolt fast, and your scope is already interfering with the bolt with medium's while cocking the bolt slowly, I would definitely go with high's as the ocular lens on Nikon's ProStaff are quite large.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Both my X rifles bolts also touched my scopes eyepiece when working the bolt with low rings. I had to switch to Medium Rings to fix the problem. You will want to do the same, over time this will damage the finish on your scope badly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.