Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm interested in putting on some XS sights on my 94 SS and I've got a couple of basic questions:

Is there some kind of special tool you use to get the front dovetail sight out of the platform, or do you take the platform as a whole off and replace it? On my 94SS I can only see one screw. Is there a second screw hidden under the dovetail?

When you put on the rear sight, do you remove the standard buckhorn sights stuffed onto the barrel, and if so, how do you get the buckhorn sights off? Do you leave the dovetail machining bare, or do you put something in there for appearance's sake?

I'm tempted to have a go at it using my own common sense and eye; however having proven to myself that I can get myself into deep excrement using my own common sense just as quickly as I can fix something myself, I thought I'd ask those of you a lot more experienced in these things.

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome, Mitch

There is a screw under the front dovetail. you'll need a brass punch to drift the sight out to get to the screw. Just make sure to knock it out from the left towards the right. You may not need to remove the rear sight - most marlins have a folding leaf rear sight, just fold it forward. That should give you enough clearance because th XS sights will be a bit higher than the factory sight. If you still want to remove the rear sight, drift it out the same way you did the front. Brownells sells little dovetail slot fillers or blanks to put in there, but I don't think they come in stainless.

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you drift that front sight blade out, it is also best to have the front sight base - not the barrel - resting against a block or some other solid support. Some screws will take the guff, while others may not, depending how tight that dovetail is.

A gunsmith-type "sight pusher" would be the best solution, but it's hard for most of us to justify the expense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just put the XS Ghost Ring sights on my 1894C a few months ago. I know squat about guns, or cars, so if I can do it... you're probably in the clear.

Rear sight is simple. For the front sight, there is indeed a screw under the dovetail.

XS included a plastic drift to tap-out the front (or rear) sight and access the 2nd screw. It came out easily for me. The 'wide-scan' hood pushes forward, BTW.

The one thing I'd like to add to the other posters' comments; use EXACTLY the right size screwdriver bit to tighten the XS screws!

I just tightened the rear sight semi-firmly with a slightly undersized bit, and it slipped. I'm not the first to notice the softness of XS screws, so be careful.

So far as the performance of the XS sights over the Marlin sights, I'm still new at it, but getting better. You just have to remember to ignore the GR and focus on the front post.

Happy Presidents' day,
CW

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! They're going to prove most helpful. I'm copying them to the Scrapbook of my antique iMac so I won't lose them when the time comes.

Now to save up my pennies (I had them all collected, but then my wife came in the middle of the night and now my 13 year old daughter has some new clothes!) :evil:

:lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts