Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Maybe some good photos of the scratches. To better help you assess what you can do to minimize or correct. Welcome from Texas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
There will be a seasonal run of ammo for your .35. Keep looking at every GS or place that sells ammo. It will go quick as you are not the only one looking. Don't overlook Ammo Seek on the net. When you find some get 2 or 3 boxes and get sighted in and you will ready to hunt.
Have a great day.
Jim

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Nice looking rifle. and Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana.
These are trying times for new gun owners and some of us old timers too. You may just have to bite the bullet so to speak and pay the scalpers what they want. Put your name on every notification at online sellers and be ready to jump when notified.

Reactions: Reddeadfan14

·
Registered
232 Posts
That furniture looks pretty good to me. I only see one little scratch. Are there more that are not showing up in the picture? I understand how you feel about scratched-up furniture on a gun. I have a 1894 .357 mag that had scratched-up stock and forearm and it drove me crazy until I got around to refinishing it. Here are a couple of before and a few after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Nice rifle!
Keep us updated on it's status!

You should plan on a basic reloading press as ammo is nuts these days.
Midway had .35 Remington about a month ago for about $52 per box of 20.

When you find and purchase ammo, remember that you are also paying for the brass.
.30-.30 brass is currently going for about $0.60 per piece, so .35 Rem would be at least that expensive, maybe more than a dollar per case, So SAVE YOUR BRASS!

There's lots of good advice on this site, and one of the best comments I see is to get a good reloading manual and read it! You can do that now and get the equipment and components later on.

Again, congratulations on a nice Marlin!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There will be a seasonal run of ammo for your .35. Keep looking at every GS or place that sells ammo. It will go quick as you are not the only one looking. Don't overlook Ammo Seek on the net. When you find some get 2 or 3 boxes and get sighted in and you will ready to hunt.
Have a great day.
Jim
Luckily
That furniture looks pretty good to me. I only see one little scratch. Are there more that are not showing up in the picture? I understand how you feel about scratched-up furniture on a gun. I have a 1894 .357 mag that had scratched-up stock and forearm and it drove me crazy until I got around to refinishing it. Here are a couple of before and a few after pictures.
Looks good! This community is so helpful! But after a couple nights now I don’t think it’s as bad as I thought. I just made a pretty big investment as well as being my first rifle purchase, and my initial reaction was to fix it. I plan on hunting with it for the foreseeable future so I’m gonna wait to do the exterior down the line. My energy now has shifted into researching into cleaning, oiling, proper storage, and ammo sourcing. I have been diving deep in the forums and YouTube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Have a great day.
Jim
I was able to find one box of hornady lever evolution for $30 after 5 tries. I am blessed after looking around at prices nowadays. This gun shop has two more boxes but I am only aloud a box per day. Im gonna pick up two more if they haven’t sold already. I’ll have some ammo to sight it in and get me by for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nice rifle!
Keep us updated on it's status!

You should plan on a basic reloading press as ammo is nuts these days.
Midway had .35 Remington about a month ago for about $52 per box of 20.

When you find and purchase ammo, remember that you are also paying for the brass.
.30-.30 brass is currently going for about $0.60 per piece, so .35 Rem would be at least that expensive, maybe more than a dollar per case, So SAVE YOUR BRASS!

There's lots of good advice on this site, and one of the best comments I see is to get a good reloading manual and read it! You can do that now and get the equipment and components later on.

Again, congratulations on a nice Marlin!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was a good read, but he didn't mention the Hornady's gummy tips that everyone thinks so highly of.
Not me by the way.
I don't own either of your other favorites, I do have an old _06 😜and a Marlin 308MX 😉if I need a little extra reach.

RP
I agree, it was as if the article was written 15 years ago. I just sold my Marlin 35 Rem 3 weeks ago but I'm keeping my Marlin 338 Express for which I have a lifetime of ammo.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I was able to find one box of hornady lever evolution for $30 after 5 tries. I am blessed after looking around at prices nowadays. This gun shop has two more boxes but I am only aloud a box per day. Im gonna pick up two more if they haven’t sold already. I’ll have some ammo to sight it in and get me by for now.
I'm pretty sure the Hornady cases are slightly shorter to allow for the gummy tip bullets, so make sure you measure them and keep them separate from 'standard' cases if you end up reloading.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Hornady cases are slightly shorter to allow for the gummy tip bullets, so make sure you measure them and keep them separate from 'standard' cases if you end up reloading.
I know that the 444 brass is shorter, not sure about 30-30, never owned 45-70.
But I know that the 35 Rem is the same length, as I load a lot of 35's.
I don't shoot the gummy's, but I did buy a few boxes several years ago at a good price "Back" then.😉

RP

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah I was running looking through it and idk if it’s necessary I like the finish. It just needs a good cleaning and some wax I’m thinking.
I would agree with the good cleaning and a bit of Johnson paste floor wax. An old tooth brush in the checkering works well. Not a fan of the see-thru scope mounts. I think they raise the scope too much.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I knew these were coming;)

Some light reading for y’all which proves I’m not alone:

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a .35 in the collection too, but I don’t reload anymore, and I have literally NEVER seen a box of .35 ammo on the shelf at any gun store in my area. I know it’s a harder hitting round, but so is my 7-08 or .270 or...
Enjoyed the article. I wonder why they did not evaluate the "Leverevolution" Hornady ammo. I found plenty last year in 200 gr. FTX. It and some O6 and 00 Buck were about the only thing on the shelves. Most of the folk around here must have 30/30. I have both and my go to rifle is the .35, not that it would make much difference where I hunt. These light recoil levers are my favorite rifles. I'll have to add my 250/300 lever Savage to that. The longer range rifles don't get as much use but they each serve their purpose.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Enjoyed the article. I wonder why they did not evaluate the "Leverevolution" Hornady ammo. ...

I just read that article too.
Yes, very interesting, and no surprise they ommitted the Leverevolution ammo as it is not 'traditional', and I think they were comparing the two cartridges on the 'historical' spectrum of ammo options.

I already have a 336 in .35 Remington so I am a happy camper and wouldn't mind getting another. But the article is right - cost of ammo is an issue for the range. So ... I need to get me a .30-.30. Not sure if I want a Winchester 94 - I like the history of it, but my eyes will want a Marlin for sight/scope options in the not too distant future. I also like those Marlin XLR models (and they made some of those in .35 Remington!).

When I was shopping for my .35 Rem Marlin, I was 'on the fence' over the .30-.30 vs. .35 Rem issue then.
I wanted the .35 more for several reasons:
1. The .35 Rem fans on this forum are VERY strong proponents of the cartridge, and I wanted to be part of that.
2. I really like my 1895's in .45-70 Govt., so .35 Rem has that bigger heavier bullet compared to the .30-.30.
3. As the article said: There are way more used (and new) .30-.30 rifles on the market, so it should be easy to find one later on.

If I want to shoot a lever rifle at the range, I can shoot .357 Magnum or even .22LR and the cost is not really an issue.
But .35 Remington IS a lot of fun, and if I'm ever in the woods with it, I would be very well armed!

Sorry if this post is a bit off-topic.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You are probably right, the evo just gives us more distance in each offering. On the 94 Winchester, I had a pre-64 30/30 and a "close" friend begged me out of it, it was slick and sweet, buy one if you find one. He also begged me out of a sweet sixteen, I am really dumb 😁. I guess his "lay about" son has them now or sold them. Those don't come around often.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Excellent first Marlin! I have both 30-30 and A 35 Remington. It’s a hard choice as to which one gets the nod every hunting season because they are both awesome. I personally wouldn’t worry about the scratches. Just wax it up and take it hunting and put your own scratches in it. I wouldn’t worry about refinishing it unless it was to become a safe queen. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Totally agree ! A smelly shiny rifle would get the deer's' attention where I hunt, especially at the short distances where I see them. I wait until the season is over to oil up my stocks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You are probably right, the evo just gives us more distance in each offering. On the 94 Winchester, I had a pre-64 30/30 and a "close" friend begged me out of it, it was slick and sweet, buy one if you find one. He also begged me out of a sweet sixteen, I am really dumb 😁. I guess his "lay about" son has them now or sold them. Those don't come around often.
My son also had both. Someone before him sawed 2 “ off the stock and put a steel butt plate with raised buck head on it that put a perfect indentation of the horns on your shoulder. He traded that for a Sweet sixteen so I think he got the better end of that deal seeing as he got 3 barrels with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bicycle saddle Bicycle part Wood Metal Leather
This is a 1975 JM 35Rem that I'm refinishing for myself. It left the pawnshop a few months ago a scratched up ugly mess in much need of love. The flash on the phone camera kinda messes with it from what it looks like in natural light.

The base coat on the raw stripped wood was
a soaking coat of minwax red oak oil base stain, burnished off after it was completely dry.

This now is presently 4 coats of BLO + Japan Drier + mineral spirits heated on the stove and applied hot with a natural bristle brush, then wiped almost dry but still somewhat shiny "wet" after 5 minutes standing time.

This coat of BLO was applied 5 hours ago, allowed to cure between the door and storm door on the south side of my house, where it gets very warm in the direct sunlight midday, and just now burnished off with the yellow terrycloth.

To prep for the next coat tomorrow I will dull down the surface slightly with a worn scotch-brite pad.
I predict about 4 more such coats will give me the aged look I like with some of the grain left unfilled. After that it will be several coats of AxeWax.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts