Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I need a mold that throws the lead at .459 and would prefer .460. My friend uses a RCBS and I think it drops them at .459 or better consistently but it is listed at .458. So what gives? Do the molds drop at a thousandth of so off consistently? I know one or two thousandth is not much but it is making a difference for me.

I know Lee has a .459 but I do not want a hollow base bullet.

Anybody have something that is consistently .459 or .40 they can recommend?

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I've got three 45-70s but none fit your desired features...so no first hand experience with an off-the-shelf. If you don't find a production mold you like you might look through Tom's catalogue at Accurate Molds.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John - Thanks for the info. Great things ahead for me.....

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
shooting Pirate, I've got a 350gr and 400gr from Tom (both gas check). His molds are very well done and if you don't want gas check it's just as easy to specify (or get one cavity GC and one PB). I would rather shoot that 350 any day - hard to believe the difference on the other end of the rifle! And it makes the same size hole in whatever it hits. That bullet has proved so accurate I'm really pleased. Last month I went out to Cheyenne where we shot out to 1000yds. I handed my rifle (not a Marlin but a single shot) to two other shooters and they both promptly scored hits. I then gave a handful of the same cartridge to our host and he scored two hits with two different powders I'd loaded under that same bullet. Made me a bigger fan than I already was. If you want the catalogue number pm me your email and I'll send it after I get back to my desktop computer on the 10th. I'll look on my phone to see if I have a picture of the bullet.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Sure have Sparky... Shoot it in 4 45-70s, one an 1895STBL, one a Cowboy, and in a Sharps and a Rolling Block. Not sure if I shot it in an 1895SS I sold. Shot well in all I can recall. Perfect ogive for nestling into the throat at typical brass length and crimp.

Here is a thread with my first outing with this bullet. Forgot but the thread reminded me it's an RD clone, with GC and grease grooves.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/4...l-45-70-first-time-out-cast-bullets-pics.html

I think (but am not certain and can't be till I go back to Oklahoma) that it is 46-350B in Tom's catalogue.
Accurate Molds: Custom Bullet Molds

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Forgot to say: you can always order some of these if you want to check em out before buying a mold. I left a message on the fellah's voicemail that introduced them to me to verify he is still making and selling them. I'll post when he calls back, if he does.

·
Registered
910 Posts
shooting pirate
off the shelf molds seldom cast what they are marked, my 405 lee hb weighed 375 grains and cast at 462 dia, i ground off the hollow base plug and now they weigh 390 grains. this one is at the extreme, but all of them are off a little, off the shelf is luck of the draw custom is on the money. my 405 rcbs gc mold weighs 420, alloy blend is a big factor in the larger bullets.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You might do a search on Flea Bay and save it so that it will notify you when a Ranch Dog mold comes up for sale. Ranch Dog Molds were designed for Marlins slight oversize bore. Most of them were tumble lube style. The copies that are being made now have the lube groves. Ranch Dog set up his for dropping at .460 and even had Lee make their .460 size dies for him.

I think Carolina Cast Bullets has bullets they cast from his mold. Beartooth Bullets will also cast and size up to the .460 for you.

Ken CO

Reactions: ShootingPirate

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Ken Co.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Most molds do seem to throw larger than what they are listed. I have a Lee 457-405-F that I load tumble lubed and unsized. I think I remember reading that they usually throw big enough to size to .459.

At about $20 you may want to try one out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moulds, powder, primers and more powder. Gotta wait for another paycheck....unless anyone wants to buy my kids. They don't have a JM stamp but they are quality works of art.

Reactions: whitewater

·
Registered
282 Posts
To help with powder I use 10 grains of 700x with a 405 bullet.

This does not help with bullets or powder because you will want to shoot all day!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts