Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in the process of building a new 22lr rifle in the coming months. Will be a spring project. I have it narrowed down to a few bolt actions, and haven’t decided which one yet. I am going to get a can for it, and was wanting some real advice from those who have used one for a while on a 22. I will be using subsonic ammo, and I know nothing about suppressors. So, if anyone could give me some good brands, and the pros and cons of the different ones, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
12,126 Posts
There are a LOT of 22 cans out there but the biggest names in the business are Griffin, Dead Air, Gemtech, Liberty and SilencerCo. My suggestion would be to check out reviews/comparisons/videos to get an idea of what you want and buy it sooner rather than later since it will take a while to get the stamp back. I would also advise you buy something that is easily serviced by the user, preferably without tools. Rimfire ammo is dirty and keeping the inside of your can clean is essential to a long lifespan.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I am about to check a few of those brands out on YouTube, then I will hit the web for reviews. I just don’t want to ask advice from the shop I am ordering it from, I don’t want advice from a salesman.

·
Super Moderator
12,126 Posts
Good call, you don't want them pushing something to clear their inventory for something else. You might also check out Silencer Shop when you are ready to order since the pricing is often better than what a dealer will charge, though they will still get you with a transfer fee. SilencerCo also offers special SPEC pricing for eligible military or first responders. Not sure if other brands do that, might be worth looking into if you qualify.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I realize this is a late response........... I bought a Ruger 22 Suppressor which is living in my gun dealers jail......... waiting for the approval to come back. I have 2 threaded barrel pistols and considering threading the barrels on a few of my 22 rifles too.

I feel your pain on trying to decide but actually while you are in the waiting mode you will continue to confuse your mind.

Reactions: Arky73 and Golphin

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you made a decision? I own a SilencerCo Spectra II and Dead Air Mask and have thousands of thousands of rounds through both with nothing but praise for them both. I have shot many rimfire cans and I would say most all name brand are pretty compatible but some of the new models that are modular are pretty tempting to add a 3rd to my stable. Only thing I'd stay away from is sealed and aluminum cans for cleaning purposes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,145 Posts
A suppressor for a 22 is a very simple thing to make. The threading of the barrel and alinement of baffles and nose cap is the problem.
There is a point that you can't improve on with a single stage model. Dater a noted designer said that a gutted GI surpressor for m16s on a 22lr is the most you can get. This has to do with the volume of the tube. He claimed that with that volume baffles were not needed.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I’m setup with a tac65 and a Ruger American in .22LR. and several .22 pistols that have threaded barrels.
One thing you should be aware of when using a suppressor is FRP. First Round Pop is when you fire the first shot it will be louder than subsequent shots due to air in the barrel and suppressor burning off. The next rounds will be quieter due to the inert gases in the barrel and suppressor that are left over from the first round.

I also run a Gemtec on my .308 rifles, it is very robust and has the quick disconnect feature. You buy a flash hider from Gemtec that has two small nubs on the side of it. Thread this onto your barrel, the suppressor has a spring plate inside it that compresses as you push it over the flash hider then you rotate the suppressor 90° and your done. Easy on, easy off. No threading each time.

3141431D-5FA8-4800-82DB-1EC5C826A284.jpeg 29E8AB37-7FF8-4FE9-894C-FB46354C581B.jpeg 05BC80C7-0035-451A-84EA-B1D88BBAFCB8.jpeg

·
Registered
Marlin Dark Series 45-70
9 Posts
I’m going to go with a Thunder Beast 22Takedown for my Tikka T1. I already own a Thunder Beast Ultra 9 in 30 cal and I’m very satisfied with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts