Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Savage 99 in .303 that someone put a Morgan adjustable pad on the buttstock. The bore is good, and the rifle has the flip up tang site on it. Stock is poor and the straight version with shnauble type forend. What to do with it? Not a collector and thought of rebarrel to something based on a 30-30 case. Am I correct in my belief that the existing bolt will work? The case head of the 30-30, and the savage 303 seem to be the same? The 7-30 Waters comes to mind, or 25-35 Ackley improved, with ability to use pointed bullets. In either caliber it should make for a very nice shooter.

·
Registered
719 Posts
blessed be the 303 piecemakers!!!!!!!

:D sorry...couldn't resist!.....i would say it'll be WAY cheaper to get a few boxes of 303 brass and a set of dies, and reload, if your bore is good! i have a 303, and she is a nice shooter! the 303sav is a tad bit more powerful than the stock 30-30.....but deer or black bear would never know the diff.......still, if you persist, rebarrell into 38-55, adjust the "spool" a little.... :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaintuck, your point is well taken, and is up for consideration. If the stock was replaced, it would not be a bad rifle. Will any straight stock (even later ones) fit this early straight version? Thanks for your reply. There is a complete set on one of the auction sites now that is a very nice set, however the forearm is the shorter fatter version.

Thanks again
Blessed

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is my opinion that the early stock with no pistol grip needs the same stock design,OR,you must curve your lever to fit the pistol grip stlye. I agree with Kaintuck,keep her where she is.You can get a brand new butt stock from NUMRICH Arms for $65.20 complete with butt plate.That is for sure How I would go. Use your own bolt and you'll be" livin" in TALL cotton. GOOD LUCK..........modoc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Modoc, thanks for the stock tip. I will check and see if they have straight stock, and if so it will be on the way.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The brass isn't a big problem. It can still be found at gun shows - I bought a box of Win factory ammo for 25 bucks last year. You can also make 303 Sav from 220 swift. The rim geometry isn't as precise as I like, but with cast loads, it works well. If you decide to go that route, I'll provide details. SW

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a crescent buttstock that has been reshaped on the comb for someone to shoot crossover you can have for the shipping. No buttplate but you should be able to fit a Win or Marlin to it. moodyholler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moodyholler,
That is a very kind offer, and I accept. Working with wood is something that I am well able to do. If needed, I can block in, and work down to comfort zone, restoring the original shape. This rifle may take a Grandson on his first deer hunt. If I can locate some brass and dies, keeping him in ammo should be no big problem.

Blessed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts