Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a few Marlins, and the odd Winchester and Browning lever, and I usually have no trouble drifting front sights with a brass drift and mallet, with the rifle held in a wooden vice with some leather protection.

But this week a mate with a Miroku ML22 (Browning BL 22) asked me to replace his front sight. Well for the life of me the front sight just wouldn't shift. The rifle is new to him but secondhand, and looks as though it has been in a safe for many years. Perfect.

So even though I had never seen one, I got to thinking that some kind of tool must exist to be able to use a threaded shaft to push out or adjust a sight. And Lo and behold, there on Brownells and Midway etc there are a range for handguns, and AR 15's etc.

Anyone got any suggestions for a model which best suits the lever action rifles? (I am guessing that the magazine tube can get in the way for front sight adjustment, esp for Rimfires)

Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hey Scott,how ya doin'. Just been messin' with making one myself. More for handguns. I got 2 small c-clamps. Cut the "foot"(wiggly base)off one and turned some brass "pushers"to fit the spindle. Use other clamp to hold gun in a piece of 1 1/2 angle with leather protection. Then use second clamp with brass fitting to push the sight off. The second clamp holds behind the 1 1/2 angle and the thread which now has the brass pusher is positioned against the sight and is simply wound off. A piece of flat bar would work instead of angle if the mag tube is in the way. Hope my you can decipher my description.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, Mac, all is well, and I can understand the setup. Gonna be up your way to the state and national lever shoots in Townsville in a few months.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you're driving past and have time,give us a call. Be good to meet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did the same; get a small C clamp and take the round pad off. I just slid a .22 case over the end to give a brass face to it. I use it on my Marlin and also my SMLE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts