Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ever since I picked up my 30-30, I am feeling the Marlin call. As such, Ive been keeping my ear to the ground for another.

After helping a friend of mine today, he pulls this out of his closet and hands it to me. Says he got it from a friend of his and doesn't know much about it, but wants it gone.

It needs a little help. As far as I can tell it is a 1972 vintage Glenfield model 60, and is missing the complete mag tube and related hardware/components. Missing the front and rear sight, and the aluminum on the rear of the trigger plate is broken across the screw hole. I like it, but I need to know if its worth fixing, and I need to know whats missing. I keep hearing about early and late models; what year is the transition?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Looks like a fun project to mess with. You'll probably end up with a good shooting rifle, after you chase down all of the necessary parts. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Is there a way to convert a model 60 to a clip fed rifle? I remember my mod 60 when apart looked like it had a spot for the clip to go. Same reciever for both guns? ???

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
lever addict said:
Is there a way to convert a model 60 to a clip fed rifle?
Yes...but NO
It'll cost you more in parts than it would to buy a new 795. And that ain't even counting labor.

It's been done...the only way it's cost effective is if you have a 70/795 with a rusted-out barrel as a parts donator.

Here's the rear sight you'll wanna put on :)
Numrich carries the good stuff.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=890180&catid=4082

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I made more progress on the old girl...

I wire-wheeled the barrel and tried my hand at bluing, but its a little on the light side. I have begun stripping off what appears to be the original green finish. Its coming off well enough, and the grain has a nice pattern on both sides.

Im having trouble getting the last little bit out of the grain. Can anyone recommend a way of removing these little spots? Ive tried two different paint strippers without any success. I really want to give it a coat of Tung Oil but if i cant get the green out I might have to rattle can it black....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts