Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to adjust the windage on the open sights? I can not seem to tap them into dead center. I'm either left or right. Is there a method to accurately and incrementally move the sights right and left ?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I always just tap mine very lightly with a small brass hammer, and punch. I use a pencil to put a little mark on the barrel directly in line with the leading point of the rear sight. This way you can easily see your progress, and not keep guessing at your work.

There used to be a little tool made for adjusting drift sights. It clamped on the gun, and you could gently adjust the sight by turning a screw type fixture on the tool, which pressed against the sight. It works great, but I haven't seen one in years. I don't know if they're still available anymore.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jerry Lester said:
I always just tap mine very lightly with a small brass hammer, and punch. I use a pencil to put a little mark on the barrel directly in line with the leading point of the rear sight. This way you can easily see your progress, and not keep guessing at your work.

There used to be a little tool made for adjusting drift sights. It clamped on the gun, and you could gently adjust the sight by turning a screw type fixture on the tool, which pressed against the sight. It works great, but I haven't seen one in years. I don't know if they're still available anymore.
Thats the way I adjust the rear sight for windage too. Without the little reference mark, you can't see how far you are going.

Bill

G

·
Windage wise you should start at 25yds just to hold the group down to min when adjusting the windage. Then check at 50, 75 and 100.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Adjusting windage

I adjusted my windage by tapping the rear sight left or right using a tack hammer with a spent cartidge between it and the sight dovetail to prevent damage to the sight. Even with a friend, it's a pain in the a**. "Oops, too far left", "Oops, too far right". I finally gave up and installed a rear peep sight. "Click-click", dial it in.

There are universal tools available for fine adjustments to sights but they cost darn near as much as the rifle. They are nothing more than a machinist's clamp with some fittings to adapt to the sight's dovetail.

If you find an inexpensive solution to the windage adjustment problem, please let us know.

Jim H

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yep, those little clamp-like tools for moving the front sights are neat. I have been looking for one for some time--can't find one anywhere. Don't know if they are still manufactured anymore or not...

I put a 'scope on my 1894C and don't have any problems adjusting for point of aim!!! That does take some of the nostalgia from a lever gun though...BCB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts