Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I start to think about my upcoming southern deer season, I find my mind wandering back to northern New York where I grew up. I remember red or green wool coats, lever guns, big woods, spruce and hemlock, and rolling terrain, deer camp, snow, tags on the back of your coat, partridge (grouse) in the woods. My experience where I live in the south is very different now. Dogs, buckshot, hunt clubs, flat terrain and crop land. So, any Adirondack or Tug Hill guys who can tell me if my memories are just those of a nostalgic middle aged guy or is it still a really unique hunting experience up there? I certainly kill more deer down here, but the pull of the Northcountry is especially strong this year.

·
Premium Member
12,160 Posts
As I start to think about my upcoming southern deer season, I find my mind wandering back to northern New York where I grew up. I remember red or green wool coats, lever guns, big woods, spruce and hemlock, and rolling terrain, deer camp, snow, tags on the back of your coat, partridge (grouse) in the woods. My experience where I live in the south is very different now. Dogs, buckshot, hunt clubs, flat terrain and crop land. So, any Adirondack or Tug Hill guys who can tell me if my memories are just those of a nostalgic middle aged guy or is it still a really unique hunting experience up there? I certainly kill more deer down here, but the pull of the Northcountry is especially strong this year.
Sounds pretty neat. My wife has some family up that way and I doubt it has changed much as people are leaving more than moving into that area. Of course I would be afraid to try and drive there with any guns at the risk of a felony somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I hunt in both the Southern and Northern zones.

A couple of years ago in the summer, I spotted a deer trail that cut across a High Peaks hiking trail. I followed it with a GPS, and recorded the track, which led to a bedding area. In deer season with thin snow on the ground, I tried to sneak up on the bed from a perpendicular angle. It was very difficult to walk quietly in the Adirondacks, given the number of sticks buried under the snow. It took me literally two hours to get close, moving as quietly as I could. Just as I came up over the last rise, the woods came alive with the rustling of deer leaving in the opposite direction.

Perhaps it was just as well. I would have had to have dragged any deer I shot about 1.5 miles through the thick woods.

Regardless of the empty-handed outcome, it was one of my fondest hunting memories. I still think about that bedding area, because the deer trail is still there to this day, heavily used.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Although i spent my younger years in the catskills iv spent alot of time up in the dacks and eventhough i love the south i always feel the call of the mountains. That sweet air, the fall chill in the air, the taste of cold mountain spring water. Your not the only one. The flat south cant compete with the mountains of NY. Like others have said you dont see to many people hunting in woolrichs anymore everyones camoed out high tech stuff. Plus a real woolwrich coat is pretty pricy now. To darn hot down here for one

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I am an Adirondack junkie.... Nothing better than hunting the big woods. Even the prospect of a two mile drag (or more) is a bit daunting... A big ole mossback Adirondack slammer buck is one of the hardest animals in the world to hunt. and even harder to be successful at!!

The areas I hunt have about two or three deer per square mile. Vs the areas I live have at least fifteen. Doesn't always seem like that makes much sense. But I love hunting it just the same!!!

Now coss, where was that trail again!!!? Haha... Good luck this year everyone!!

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I am an Adirondack junkie.... Nothing better than hunting the big woods. Even the prospect of a two mile drag (or more) is a bit daunting... A big ole mossback Adirondack slammer buck is one of the hardest animals in the world to hunt. and even harder to be successful at!!

The areas I hunt have about two or three deer per square mile. Vs the areas I live have at least fifteen. Doesn't always seem like that makes much sense. But I love hunting it just the same!!!

Now coss, where was that trail again!!!? Haha... Good luck this year everyone!!
Food - food - and more food. It all boils down to that. Northern NY and the Adirondack region lack the ample farms of the Southern Tier. So while you may have lots and lots of wooded land up North - deer don't eat wood. NNY has the lowest density of deer in the state per square mile because NNY simply does not have the farms and orchards they have in the South. :eating:

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I hunted over 30 years in the Adirondacks, Essex county, Schroon Lake area. Yes I was one of those guys who wore the red plaid Woolrich jacket, pants and hat. My model 70 30-06, a small pack containing a sandwich, 2 chocolate bars and a small thermos of coffee. My brother and I and 2 friends would make that hunt every year. We had the opportunity to spent 6 days at a friends cabin who's land was boarded by State Land. I have many fond memories of those years. As the years went by things happen. My brother passed away, and my legs started to get old and tired, we moves our hunts to the Catskill area. I have been hunting the Catskill's for about 25 years now, still with my 2 friends, and yes I have seen and harvested many more Deer.
I will never forget the Adirondacks hunts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
cgcollins if your missing the north east hunting in the cold and the snow go here Hunting Chat alot of guys from the northeast on there and alot of us still wear the green wool pants and wool coats.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The dacks is where the big bucks live. Poaching has become a real problem in locations there now and the state refuses to pursue poachers so be careful when choosing a hunting location. Decades of hunting the back woods with miles to drag has taught me to pack my dear out rather than drag them especially now that I'm older. Bear necessitate packing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lived in plattsburgh for 14 years.Hunted around E town also at a 100 year old camp near north hudson.To make many long stories short this was hunting not snipeing.The camp was closed by the state several of my buddies have died,Imoved to michigan and am to old to hunt those high peaks.i do have the red plad but it doesn't fit.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Good thread even if I do not hunt.

I was born in NY but moved to MD when I was one year old. I remember some 'NY hunting stories' from older people when I was a kid from my Mom's extended side of the family. Not from her Dad because he died before I was born. I remember a LOT of fishing stories too. My late Mom and her Dad were really into fishing and boating more.

Montana Man, my husband, still wears Woolrich and Filson products and some of the clothing that many younger people do not wear in this day and age. He was born and raised out here. He has hunted since he was a kid.

We are in our 60's. He still hunts out here.

New York IS a beautiful state in my opinion. All of it. I think that New York, New England and Mid-Atlantic people are some of the finest people in this country too.

I think that there are wonderful people ALL across this nation too!

He is sitting next to me now and he said that he can't imagine hunting in warm weather. He does not like having a RARE warm day during Montana's hunting season either. He does NOT handle the heat well no matter if it is in Montana or in some other states that he has visited.

I can picture your description of NY in my mind too. I love New York state and all over that part of the country!

Cate

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
This thread brought back memories. I don’t hunt anymore. And never hunted the Adirondacks.

But growing up back in New York, it seemed like everyone wore the Woolrich red and black jacket and trousers. A few, like my father and his buddies, Vinny Schweitzer and Ole Ferrona, even had the matching Woolrich wool hat. I only had the Woolrich hunting jacket that later was passed on to a relative. No matter how hard the wind blew or how low the thermometer dropped, I never was cold when wearing the Woolrich jacket: a huge collar that turned up almost over the ears and hand warmer pockets on the sides Plus it was darn near waterproof as the wool weave was that tight! Socks? -- a heavy wool sock, folded over the top of the boot. Gray sock with a red band at the top of the sock which was folded over -- equal amounts of red on both sides.

Most of them carried .30-30's -- Marlins, 94's, my Dad and my brother had Savage bolts --one or two had a .30-06. But the
deer rifle was the Savage 99 in .300 Savage.

I’ve been sitting here and thinking. Hard to believe that was all back in 1963. By ’64, I graduated from high school and enlisted in the USMC. Walk into the North Branch Inn (No. Branch, NY) and Woolrich red and black lined the bar, air filled with cigarette, pipe, and cigar smoke, laughter, and tales of the day’s hunt and those of previous years. I still can see Ferd Schlichting tending bar. Thanksgiving week was the big week to go afield. My grandparents’ farmhouses were filled with relatives coming home for the holiday and the hunt. Barn chores went quicker that night as my Dad and his brothers helped with the evening milking. Guess it was a time for them to re-live their childhood too. It was a great time to grow up....

·
Registered
18 Posts
As I start to think about my upcoming southern deer season, I find my mind wandering back to northern New York where I grew up. I remember red or green wool coats, lever guns, big woods, spruce and hemlock, and rolling terrain, deer camp, snow, tags on the back of your coat, partridge (grouse) in the woods.
The wool coats are less common than they were (my Dad wore one but I've never owned one), but the leverguns are still there, the spruce is still there, the tags still go in a little tag holder from Stewarts that pins to the back of your jacket, and hopefully the deer are still there, since I'm heading out by Sacandaga Lake to hunt each of the next couple of weekends :biggrin:

·
Banned
163 Posts
I still wear my wool coat (albeit with an orange vest) and carry a Marlin levergun of some variety during my Northern Wisconsin deer hunt. I hunt big woods and it is hilly but not like the Adirondacks. I wouldn't want to hunt any other way.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I remember red or green wool coats, lever guns, big woods, spruce and hemlock, and rolling terrain, deer camp, snow, tags on the back of your coat, partridge (grouse) in the woods.
cg,

I live in the Northern Adirondack Mountains about 14 miles from the Canadian border. A lot of things are still as you describe. New things include full camo garb and 3" shotshells for turkey. Also, recently a few guys hunt deer with crossbow. Of course, bolt rifles in 30-06, 308W and 270 have become more popular, but a lot of guys still use lever guns in 30-30, 35Rem, 444 and 45-70. We're kind of in an area that time has forgot, we like it that way and promote it every chance that we get.!

Dan

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I hear you guy's, and gal ( Miss Cate ), I'm a southern boy, born N.C., currently residing in Myrtle Beach, S.C. grew up reading Outdoor Life, And Field & Stream, about deer hunting the "north country". Through fate my wife is from Altona N.Y., 30 minutes above Plattsburg, this is " by God" north country!!! It's really close to Rouses Point, where the border crossing is! Also as fate would have it, her uncle owns a "deer camp", and loves me!! Will be going up for Thanksgiving, usually go up for muzzle loader week, in Oct., the leaves are turning, Snows and Canadians overhead, you know the feeling. But, alas, I'll have to "suck it up", and do Nov. this year. Hope I can soldier on, heh heh. As they say today, "I am SO looking forward to it" T REX

1 - 20 of 63 Posts