Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Addition of a Remington Model 34

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  22lrfan 
#1 ·
I got this Remington Model 34 in the trade. Has been well used but bore is like new and after cleaning and oiling the bolt are glass smooth and fast for a 90 year old gun. No bluing left but no pitting or rust and the stock looks to be very nice. Marked Model 34 but have read was a 34-A, with open Iron sights, 34P with peep sights, and NRA Target with peep sights and Brass Bolt. But the open sights are great and overall the gun operates mechanically like new. Guessing this one from 1932 as serial number very low. from 1932 to 1935 only about 161,000 were made. It sold at 13.50 which was expensive and think the action below was too expensive to make.
After reading about it and observing it I think what made the rifle unique and rock-solid reliable was the shell-carrier design of Crawford Charles Loomis of Remington Arms. The carrier would actually lift a .22 rimfire shell (all three varieties), out of the rifle’s tubular magazine into the chamber, simultaneously aligning it perfectly with the rifle’s bore. The bolt could then be closed, the safety operated and the trigger pulled for a safe and accurate discharge of the weapon.
Really find this 34 comfortable and want to take to range. There is some nice checkering on stock but camera will not pick up.

See less See more
#8 ·
I had one I bought at a yard sale. The stock was cracked on one side just below feed throat. No blue left on it but no rust either and mint bore. I used it for truck gun for years. Won several Turkey Shoots at local Legion with it, 100’ shoots. It would do a dime at 100’, if it didn’t it was your fault. My boy cried until I gave it to him. While he was in Navy he took it to a Smith over around Norfolk and guy adapted a scope base and put a cheap 3x9 on it. Not as fun to shoot now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.