Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to go get my first 336 and from the pics I cant see where a sling or bosses for a sling would attach. Is it even possible to have one on here without drilling the stock? Its a 1964 model Texan I believe. I'd just like to have a nice leather strap to free my hands up around the property.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Uncle Mike's brand, and others, make a sling swivel stud that attaches to the magazine tube, just in front of the forend, with a screw that clamps the two halves of it together - no permanent alteration to the rifle. On the butt stock, you will have to drill a hole to accept a stud that will take a quick detachable swivel. The black & white bulls eye in the bottom of your butt stock [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]IS NOT[/size][/size][/size] a mounting point for the rear swivel - about an inch behind it will do nicely.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redmist said:
Uncle Mike's brand, and others, make a sling swivel stud that attaches to the magazine tube, just in front of the forend, with a screw that clamps the two halves of it together - no permanent alteration to the rifle. On the butt stock, you will have to drill a hole to accept a stud that will take a quick detachable swivel. The black & white bulls eye in the bottom of your butt stock [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]IS NOT[/size][/size][/size] a mounting point for the rear swivel - about an inch behind it will do nicely.
Ugh that makes me cringe. Is that something that is done to any of the older 336s I see around or did they finally start making them to already accept the stud? Any drawbacks to it? Just wary about drilling holes in the original wood

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well, I have seen (can't remember where, but someone will) a leather cover for the buttstock that has a sling attachment you can tie onto. There is a leathermaker that is highly touted here that either has them or can make one with that feature, or any good leatherworker can.

You could also tie to the mag tube with leather, but I wouldn't. I wouldn;t trust it in the field, plus the leather could begin a rub mark and impart some rust between the mag tube and barrel.

Brownell's sells a forearm tip with sling swivel stud that fits some fo the rifles (unknown about yours), or you can get the clamp that Redmist is talking about. They look pretty nice. As far as drilling in the buttstock, well....each to his own, but I wouldn't have any qualms about it. That's Marlin's preferred way, even though the early models weren;t always drilled. I mean, if you sent the rifle in to Marlin asking about sling mounting points, you'd get it back with a hole in the stock and a stud in there (not that they do that kind of work, just saying that's how Marlins [and others] are all mounted). Once you put the stud in there, the only thing sticking out is a nice, black stud with a hole in it, so even when the sling and sling swivel is off, it looks classy and normal.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think what you need are wood clamps.....OR, a homemade jig cut and sanded to fit the buttstock as closely as possible. I would use Jorgensen wooden clamps, which have jaws that can be adjusted independently and un-parallel to each other. Remove the stock from the rifle. Clamp it and line it up just right, and drill with a brad point bit (after punching a light dimple exactly where you want your stud). I'm probably telling you things you already know.......just a thought.

It'll work and be good. One thing about drill bit sizes: Walnut isn;t as hard and dense as say...maple or oak, but it's not pine or fir either! So..... your bit size is important. Too small and you'll tear things up trying to screw in the stud. Too large and it may eventually pull out.

I was looking at an old 336 on GunBroker the other day. One for sale had a metal hose clamp around the mag tube, with some leather coming off of it and onto a sling. hehe high tech. :)D)

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I use a shot-gun sling on my Win 94. Just slips over the muzzle and rear stock. No drilling needed.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
The older Texans have collector value!

In case you ever want to return the gun to original mount the sling stud where the bulls eye is! Yeah...I said where the bulls eye is! ;) Then if you want to retun it to original you remove the stud and put a new bulls eye in! NO extra holes in the wood! ;) The bulls eye can be purchased for around $3.00! The Texans which have collector value did not have swivles on them from the factory.

Keep the collector value up on that Texan! BTW if you remove the butt stock there should be a serial# on it that matches the gun...just another thing collectors of old Texans look for!

Our administrator VTDW sells the bulls eyes! http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,78028.0.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thanks for all the insight guys!

I may even just look into some replacement wood for it for now to use and keep the original in good order. I'll check for the serials before I purchase as well. I'm not 100% sure is a 336T, but we'll see ;D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cabelas has a "muzzleloader sling" that laces onto the rifle.

If it were mine, I would take off the scope. Just doesn't seem to look right on a straight stock lever action.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tallpine said:
Cabelas has a "muzzleloader sling" that laces onto the rifle.

If it were mine, I would take off the scope. Just doesn't seem to look right on a straight stock lever action.
Its coming off, and that lace-up one sounds nice. Might get that with the uncle mikes front mount

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Now that I look closer it actually looks like the bullseye probably fell out of this particular rifle. Not uncommon.

IMO just use the rifle and adapt it to your needs. It's a workhorse rifle made to be carried and used often, not a collector, even if it's a little less common than a pistol-grip Marlin.

On my rifle you can see where the stock attachment points are on the newer rifles...the barrel band has a stud built into it, and behind the bullseye is a another.

I'd also be concerned about mounting a swivel stud in the bullseye. Such an installation wouldn't be anchored completely in wood, as it would be if you installed the stud in the factory location. That would make it weaker and more prone to coming out, I'd think, which could possibly damage the wood.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I forgot to link to my pic:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well its not a texan, just a regular 336 with a 20" barrel and the bullseye did fall out. Ill probably replace the bullseye and drill a stud hole in the stock and get a replacement barrel band with the sling mount.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Miatakix....Outstanding setup!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Thanks, Stretch, I do like it, probably my favorite rifle ;D The buttstock cover has loops for holding extra rounds on the other side (I'm a lefty). The leather was custom made by forum member Levergun of Levergun Leatherworks, he definitely does first-rate work.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Does that leather buttstock cover have a little padding in the end to take some of the recoil? Very nice work, either way. It looks like your sling, being a newer model rifle, is mounted to a stud that the leather cover slips over (or the stud fits between the lacings[?]). But I really thought I had seen one similar that had a sling attachment there...you know, for rifles without a stud like bottlerocket's rifle. Was I imagining that?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Bottlerocket, your rifle is a Texan. They are not roll marked as such. The 20" barrel, with barrel bands and the straight grip makes it one, The older ones with straight and pistol grips were both marked "RC" (regular carbine.) Have fun with your nice new toy. If you decide to go with a butt cuff, know that over time the stock will take on a darker appearance underneath (or the rest will fade and the covered part will not,) so if you go that direction, be prepared to stay with it. Just my observation. Best wishes, Jack

1 - 19 of 19 Posts