Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a deposit down 19th September and finally have my hands on a 327FM Henry.

These were supposed to be available in the USA March 2017 but it kept getting pushed back and the first rifles shipped August.
Mine has a serial number below 800, think there are 6 that came into Aus in the first shipment.
Only picked it up late this afternoon so very limited shooting with the open sights in poor light. Groups around 1" at 25m with AE 100gr factory ammo. Similar size for the few cast 32swl reloads I tried although I need to add a bit more powder as 1.5 -1.7gr AP-50 only produced 700-750fps. The were quite about the same as the cci quite 22lr.
It is no power house but the AE were doing a touch over 2100fps, so a few hundred fps faster than a 22mag with 2.5 x the projectile weight, should be adequate for goats, fallow and pigs at modest range. It will certainly do the job for CLAS.
Rifle will chamber and fire 327FM, 32H&Rmag, 32swl & 32sw. Feeding with the 32swl wasn't real smooth but I think it is probably due to the SWC. Fit and finish on the rifle seems quite good, I haven't stripped it yet to check the finish on the internals but the action seems smooth enough.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Congrats on the new Henry. I think you will enjoy it. I have the .41 and love it.

Reactions: kraynky

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Congrats on the new Henry. I think you will enjoy it. I have the .41 and love it.
My only Henry is a .41 as well, but it's a well built rifle. The .327 seems like something I ought to be looking into. I have 22 WMR rifles, but the rimfire stuff can get expensive, and it's not always available. My 32-20 is a fun gun, but tricky to reload. This looks like a good replacement for it.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Sweet ! Congrats !

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Very nice, I love the chambering, very versatile. I would buy a Henry because it is American made but really like my loading gate. When I get my collection of having all of the calibers in Marlin Model '94's I might get RPP to make one from a doner Marlin.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like my loading gate as well but wasn't a deal breaker for me.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think the smaller marlin chambering on the 94 like 22mag & 32H&R were made without a loading gate.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Your are right - there was a 1894 Cowboy 32 H&R mag listed on used guns earlier in the month and the picture posted confirms that there is no loading gate. Way too pricing for my budget.

Reactions: Boris

·
Registered
5,960 Posts
I have a 32-20 Marlin and shoot it a bit, mostly to keep my eye sharp as it is nicer than a loaded down 30-30. One of the things I think that has held back the lower powered 30's is the lack of game to shoot with one. I also carry a Henry 22 mag on the tractor and 4 wheeler and find it about as handy as the 32-20. But the list of shootable criiters with a intermediate rifle like his 327 aren't around my area. Its either small game for a 22 or bear and deer for a 30-30 or whatever. Turkeys are to shot with a shotgun and coyotes can be shot with a deer rifle as I don't care about a pelt. 220 hope you have a lot of fun with that rifle. I prefer the loading system on my 22 magnum as it doesn't mess up ammo like a side gate.

DEP

·
Banned
345 Posts
I like my Henry. It's the brass reciever 45/70. Figured I'd get the brass look, after the blued Marlin 45/70 I bought a few months before. They did a really fine job, on putting the Henry together, and it shoots great too!

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
That is correct. I have read that your rifle will feed chamber and shoot .32 S&W Longs.
Wow, I just found a pretty old box full of 32 S&W Longs in my ammo box last night.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hi Shaun,

Nice rifle mate. And yes, you are right, my 1894M feeds the 22mags into the tube, same as the 39a.

Enjoy the Henry!

cheers, Wayne.

Reactions: Australian

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will do, off to the AHN forum WBB shoot this weekend, I plan to give it a fair workout.
Plenty of informal fun competitions, last year I finished 3rd in the running boar comp they had. 5 passes each direction but you could shoot as many shots as you could get off each pass with the best 10 counted for scoring. Levers and pumps dominated, I used my 45/70, Mitch used the little 357 to win it and we had a Remington 7600 in 35whelan splitting us. The little Henry should really shine with its modest recoil.
Great fun even watching when blokes have a go with things like 500NE doubles.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Enjoy mate. Is Mitch home for it?

Reactions: 220

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He's still posted at Wodonga so only 10min from the range. He has finished all his trade courses, doing a few other short courses before they post him. Where to he doesn't know at this stage but probably 90% it will be Brisbane, Townsville or Darwin.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What velocity can you expect from a rifle in 327 Magum? I only have one reloading book and that cal is not listed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.