Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Found' a real nice 336 in 35 rem from 1960 recently. Great stock/wood, bluing is fine, a couple small/light scratches on the barrel, d & t'd..

The white spacer is smaller than the stock and butt plate, that may need a redo.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Very nice!

I saw one last week at a gunshow in Kalamazoo Michigan last week. It was a '52 with smooth wood. Nearly brought it home, but didn't. Wish I had now :'(

Great gun, enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
SWEET!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey, now that's a beautiful rifle. You did good. I think I better start looking for a .35.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
mikem2 said:
Thanks, this was a lucky find!
According to Brophy's, you have a 336SD (Sporting Deluxe) of which only 4,392 were manufactured from 1955 to 1962. The suggested retail price was $94.95 in 1960. I'd say you have a real deal there ;D. I have a real nice '61 336SC and by the time I develop a nice hunting load for it, I am thinking it will be one of my favorites. I love the finish on these early '60 models.

bjm

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
as bjm stated, you found an original 336SD - very nice, and not very common on the market! I own a few of these, and figure the .35 Remington chambering was ~33-40% of the total produced. You can make new white spacers from Clorox jugs if you wish, and they won't shrink or fade like the original material. Shoot straight!

·
Registered
167 Posts
gewehr said:
You can make new white spacers from Clorox jugs if you wish, and they won't shrink or fade like the original material.
I've done that and it works good.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Good looking rifle. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are great looking rifles.

I am new to the Marlin barrel markings.

This rifle has the 336 S.C. on the barrel. I have read the barrel markings (model letters) are not always correct/accurate for the actual rifle model, SC, CS, DL, etc.

Do the Deluxe models usually have DL on the barrel?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks

I like using the weaver see thru bases/rings on the 336 carbines in .35, going to try the same set-up on this one!

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I have been lead to believe that the markings are going to show SC, but it is, in fact, an SD. Really nice rifle.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
mikem2 said:
I like using the weaver see thru bases/rings on the 336 carbines in .35, going to try the same set-up on this one!
If that is what you like and are comfortable with, then use that setup. Here is my 1951 336A .35Rem with a vintage Weaver scope/rings/base set about as low as I could go with these. Most Marlin users, but not all, prefer a low mounted scope setup for a better cheek-weld when shooting.

bjm

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
The correct barrel rollstamp does indeed indicate Model 336 SC, even though the checkered buttstock and forearm (usually a higher grade walnut) make it the Sporting Deluxe, or SD model shown in Marlin's catalog or advertised literature of the day. I understand rollstamps were very expensive, and essentially used until completely worn out, and the production numbers of some of the limited deluxe models simply did not warrant making a specific rollstamp. Other features sometimes have to be noted to distinguish the "true" catalog model.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts