Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a 1964 Glenfield off Gun Auction last week with my C&R, I received it today and the barrel is not marked micro-groove, but it sure looks like it.

What say you all?

D

·
Registered
41 Posts
That was my first rifle for hunting in 1964. My father bought it for me, I think it was $40.00 or 60.00 dollars. mine had micro groove rifling. I'm sure yours does to. My son has mine, it was his first rifle too. Still going strong.

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
MICRO-GROOVE came on all marlins somewhere in the mid to late 50's. unless it was re-barreled with an older barrel, it should be micro-groove.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
The patent was awarded to Marlin in 1953. They immediately began offering the 22 rifles with it but the centerfire barrels took a couple years afterwards. There was likely some older centerfire barrels still ready for use so the ballard rifling might be found up into say 1956 or so on some centerfire models. Then in the past decade or so some models have slowly switched back to ballard type rifling. It would appear those models are the ones that see a greater popularity for cast bullet use like the 45-70 and various cowboy models.

I would offer to check my Brophy's book but it isn't nearby at the moment. There is such a marked difference in the appearance of the rifling that if you are looking at a microgroove centerfire barrel you will know instantly.

Not a certified Marlin expert but Glen Fryxell can usually be counted on to do some extensive research before he publishes an article. Here is one of his that addresses identifying the microgroove barrels.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/microgrove-barrels.htm

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I have a 36G also and mine is a 1966 ( or 1968...senior moment here...:hmmmm: ). I really like the shorter mag tube. You may or may not know this, but Marlin only made about 6,000 of them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 36G also and mine is a 1966 ( or 1968...senior moment here...:hmmmm: ). I really like the shorter mag tube. You may or may not know this, but Marlin only made about 6,000 of them.
Probably a 1965. They only made them for two years, 1964 and 1965. I have a 1964 that I bought a few months ago and it looks like it has a microgroove barrel.

Does yours have a walnut stock?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Probably a 1965. They only made them for two years, 1964 and 1965. I have a 1964 that I bought a few months ago and it looks like it has a microgroove barrel.

Does yours have a walnut stock?
See...I told ya I had a 'senior moment'..:vollkommenauf:

Here is mine...prefix AA

006.jpg

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
Some Marlin models switched back and forth between MG and Ballard rifling in the 1960s--like the Sears Model 45. My 1964 Sears Model 45 in 35 Rem has MG----while another MO member here has a 1962 Sears Model 45 in 35 Rem with Ballard rifling. Only way to know what rifling you have (if your barrel isn't marked) is to count the number of grooves in the barrel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a picture from the auction:

The swivels are a bit odd, but the serial number starts with a "Z", making it a 1964. I am certain it is a microgroove barrel. I now have three 30-30's and I am going to hold here. A 1952 waffle top I need to restore some. It has Ballard rifling and it will be equipped with a peep sight and be my cast lead gun. This gun will stay the way it is and be an open sights field gun. The third is a 1979 336 with a Leupold scope and it will say as is. I also have a 2008 JM marked 45-70 Ballard rifled guide gun. My collection grew from none to four in two months. Time to take a break!

D

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Yours looks nice.

Here is mine. It has walnut stocks and a z prefix.
That's real nice looking. There's just something about Walnut, isn't there.!

I do actually like the different shades ( don't know the proper terminology ) of my stock.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Here's a picture from the auction:

The swivels are a bit odd, but the serial number starts with a "Z", making it a 1964. I am certain it is a microgroove barrel. I now have three 30-30's and I am going to hold here. A 1952 waffle top I need to restore some. It has Ballard rifling and it will be equipped with a peep sight and be my cast lead gun. This gun will stay the way it is and be an open sights field gun. The third is a 1979 336 with a Leupold scope and it will say as is. I also have a 2008 JM marked 45-70 Ballard rifled guide gun. My collection grew from none to four in two months. Time to take a break!

D
Another nice 36G...congrats..!!

So 36G's had both Walnut and ( Beech..Birch..? ) stocks in that short production run. I suppose it was just a matter of what wood was available at the time?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts