Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall,

I know who he was and what it did for most calibers. I have research all that jib jab on the internet. I want to know the proven success of an Ackley Improved verses standard cartilage. I have a 30-30 and I am wanting to know if it is worth it to do the change over. I am shooting lever-evolution hornady's right now. Why should I even think about Ackley Improved? Somebody give me the reason why???? I need everyone's input.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
you will get increased velocity, longer case life ...the increased velocity gives it a flatter trajectory and a bit more ft/lbs of energy at the target....and of course the uniqueness of it....have considered it myself....just havent bought the reamer or the dies.... yet....maybe a winter project....

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
i have a gunsmith friend that did one for himself and he loved it.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I'll tread on the advantages not often spoken of.

1. One test was done with a 30-30 and 30-30AI this was conducted with a bbld chamber and no receiver. Chronograph 6 feet behind it.

30-30 was fired and the casing was clocked at 2200fps. 30-30AI was fired and stayed in the chamber. Don't ask me how they ignited the rounds I don't know.

2. With no bolt thrust because of the straight walls of the AI chamber you can increase the pressures beyond what a normal 30-30 can withstand against the bolt face and lockup.

3. Because the 30-30AI is small diameter it does have a considerable amount of metal strength in the bbls chamber area unlike the larger cases in a 336 Marlin.

4. Using pointed bullets one in the chamber and one in the mag tube. It can be loaded to very high velocities and made to shoot very flat.

5. Using the new Hornady LE bullets and LE powder it should only do much better.

6. If you used a Marlin with 24 inch bbl I would use a slower burning powder and gain that much more.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've have always wanted to build a 30-30AI but after the performance improvement I found with the new LVR powder in the standard 30-30, I lost the desire. I don't know if using the LVR powder would allow you to push it even further, but if you did, you would end up with a .308 Winchester equivalent. If that is what I wanted, I could take that couple hundred bucks and put it towards a Savage model 99 in .308 and have a new toy to play with that could shoot pointy bullets. That being said, I still want to play around with a 30-30AI at some point. The curiosity is still nagging at me.

I have a full blown wildcat that my Uncle designed called the 6mm Gibbons and there is a big cool factor in going to the gun club and knowing that you won't find anything out there like what you are shooting.

Keith

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
805 Posts
Couple hundred bucks towards... They commonly go for $500-$600 around here.

bwaaa haa haa ha, A couple hundred for a 99 Savage?:vollkommenauf: Not anywhere I know of. The 99 Savage is a very nice rifle though.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
99's go for quite a bit more around here, rough ones top $600, anything in good shape is 8 or better.
I had a 223 single shot turned into a 7-30 Waters, only it came back with a 30 caliber bore:hmmmm:. Not sure if it's the same as a 30-30AI, but very close. I need to try some Leverevolution powder in it to see what it will do. Have only formed some brass with it so far, my AI dies may not even work. But with the 308 MX, not any reason to mess with the AI, that I can see. DP

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Some good discussion point here. The 308 Marlin, certainly does fill the bill for more power in a 336. Doing so with factory ammo and cheaper reloading die sets and easier resale (probably). As far as Savage 99s go don't neglect the 300 Savage, which is can be had for less than a 308, and is a great round in its own right. I mostly carry a Savage 99F because it is at least 1.5lb lighter than my 308MX.

Have played with the 250 Savage AI and gained about 250fps.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
dpe.ahoy - Man, your 7-30 Waters dies are really going to work that brass if it has a 30 caliber neck. Might have to lube that brass good going from 308 diameter down to 284 diameter. I had a 14 inch Contender in 7-30 and it was a really accurate round. Only wished I could of found a rifle in that caliber. Shenandoah

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
I started thinking about the AI when Swany brought it up in a thread about a 336 with a ported barrel. He was saying it might be a good candidate for the AI conversion.

My reloading manuals don't mention the 30-30AI, and I'm not sure how much you gain by going there...

Am I right that Leverevolution powder was supposed to give high performance at lower pressure? What powders do 30-30AI shooters/reloaders use?

If I have a 308MX, how much less powerful is the 30-30AI gonna feel? Anybody know the difference in the range?

Thanks

Brocky

·
Registered
363 Posts
I used to think about having my 336 reamed for the AI.. That was prior to 2006 and LEVERevolution ammo.

Now, I'm not so keen on the idea. For me, the point of the AI was to do the same thing that LEVERevolution equivalent handloads do -give my 336 just a bit more range, out to 250 comfortably and out to 300 in a pinch. So far, in my nearly four decades as a licensed hunter, I've only made two shots on game over 250 yards -one was a 275 poke on a pig with the old G&H Springfield in .30-'06 (of course) and another on a mule deer with a No.1 in .300 Weatherby Magnum. Mule deer, blacktails, whitetails, pigs, feral goats, mouflon rams, pronghorns, elk, and caribou all have co-operated with me by presenting shots inside 200 yards. The overwhelming majority of the time, my .30-30 in standard trim would have killed all of the game I've ever shot stone cold dead. I wanted that wee bit extra range as insurance, more than anything. I think I'm getting that with the 160 grain FTX gummy tips over 35.5 grains of LVR powder already.

The AI might give me longer case life. No doubt. But I set my sizer die up so that I'm not bumping the shoulder back and the cases are headspaced on the shoulder and not the rim, anyhow -just as I did when shooting 7-30 Waters out of a Contender or making sure the .300 Wby rounds I shot out of a No.1 headspaced on the shoulder and not the belt. Cases last plenty long for me. They're cheap and easy to replace when I do need to, as is, with a standard .30-30 chamber.

I'm sure the AI would have less bolt thrust, too. But I don't think feeding my 336 a steady diet of LEVERevolution equivalent handloads is beating it up much.

The AI ain't going to turn my 336 in to the ballistic equal to 180gr bullets over a full dose of IMR 4350 fired out of the 26" barrel of my Ruger No.1-B in .30-'06. That rifle is only slightly longer than my 20" barreled 336 and it ain't all that much heavier. And I've been shooting No.1's off and on since I was 19, so I've got the reload without losing sight picture drill down pat with them and don't miss the repeating magazine firepower they don't have.

Ultimately, to me,the .30-30 AI just doesn't make as much sense as it used to before LEVERevolution ammo and the powder and component bullets to duplicate it hit the market. If I need more than my .30-30 can deliver with that ammo, well, that's what my No.1-B in .30'06 is for.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
dpe.ahoy - Man, your 7-30 Waters dies are really going to work that brass if it has a 30 caliber neck. Might have to lube that brass good going from 308 diameter down to 284 diameter. I had a 14 inch Contender in 7-30 and it was a really accurate round. Only wished I could of found a rifle in that caliber. Shenandoah
I have a set of 30-30 AI dies to use, just haven't done any reloading for it. After much discussion with the 'smith that did the original barrel, I sent another 223 barrel to him and did get a 7-30 Waters barrel, after explaining to him he owed the correct barrel done for free. Still cost me the price of another barrel and shipping to get what I wanted. Shortly after, I found a new Win. 94 chambered for the 7-30 W which lives here. DP

1,875 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I played with the 30-30 AI on a 20" 336 awhile back. I enjoyed it and I got some impressive velocities out of it. Unfortunately, I was into super high pressures and would have caused setback with regular use. I backed down a bit and was happy. I gave that rifle to a friend. In a 20" bbl, I don't think its "worth it" ( but it wasn't about being better for me, I just like Ackleys!) I later got a 308ME and it was indeed just like a 300 Savage. I never hunted with that rifle and got a good trade for it. Now, I never see any ammo or brass for it out here. Almost every Savage 99 I have ever seen in the past 24yrs here was in 300 Savage. Buddy, the older Utahans loved their 300 Savages, ha. They also loved their 250-3000s, but you almost never see one , and when you do its junk and around 8 bills. No, for me, the 336 carbine is best as a standard, and a dream to hunt with. I had a 24"bbl 336A years back that did wonders with the Leverevolution ammo, so a Swany suggested 24", in an AI with the LE powder could be a firecracker, I don't know. Now, if I had kept that 20" AI, I would have used LE powder and a Hawk 190 .30 jacketed softnose. That would be lots of fun, but doubtful it would kill any better than the standard, just more fun! good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I am probably the only one that sees no magic in the 99 Savage. Had one and traded it off. Climsy to carry and I shoot lefty and it had a horrible safety. If I wanted a new rifle the 308 Marlin would be worth a look as it is about the same thing as the 300 Savage. The 30-30 AI is also close. Not knocking the 300 Savage as my daughter kills deer with one in a bolt gun and I have one in an old bolt action Remington I like. Some one either here or on the Cast Boolit forum had the reamers he was willing to rent out. As to practical experience, it is in the same basic class as the 300 Savage and 303 British. Shoot a deer where you are supposed to and you eat venison. My first rifle was a 303 and it was quite effective, My daughter kills deer with her 300 Savage. My son killed about 3 deer with the old 303 British and handloaded 150 grain bullets. When she first got it I reloaded 150 gr Remington Corelock 30-30 bullets in it at a moderate 2500 or so to keep recoil down. They killed deer. They kill out of a plain old 30-30. Calibers in this class are great deer rifles as they do not blow up a lot fo venison and give one a fair point blank range. I did get one deer with the 300 Savage 99 and it was a very pretty shot through brush at maybe 100 yards, Rifle was scoped. Still did not like the thing. Also had a horrible inconsistant trigger pull. If I need a longer range gun I use a bolt action.

DEP

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I haven't tried the 30-30AI but do have a 223AI that is a real shooter. Performance is very similar to the 222 Magnum with slightly less powder.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I am pretty much in sinc with Tele-Caster. I'm 77 and have been hunting since i was a kid. I can recall only five successful shots that I would not have been comfortable using a .30-30. Dad had it down. A Marlin .336 .30-30 was the only centerfire he ever kept. He thought he wanted a ,22-250 one time, but gave it to the grandsons after a frustrating start with a scope. Back to the open sight Marlin. Last time I saw him roll a coyote at well over 100 yds, he was way past 80.

Reactions: SC Reb
1 - 19 of 19 Posts